The security appliance at <...> has detected IP conflicts with devices - why?

DanielOdievich1
Here to help

The security appliance at <...> has detected IP conflicts with devices - why?

Every month or so I get an email from meraki like that:

The security appliance in the <my>  network has detected IP conflicts with two or more devices.

The IP 192.168.0.239 is claimed by clients with the following MAC addresses: 00:22:3F:FB:A3:E4 00:22:3F:FB:A3:EC
The IP 1.1.1.1 is claimed by clients with the following MAC addresses: 68:3A:1E:32:40:8E 68:3A:1E:32:4C:4C

The message regarding 192.168.0.239 maps via OUI tool https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html to 00:22:3F Netgear which is two old but good Netgear GS108T switches. Both have DHCP turned on on the device but in Meraki I assign static IP assignments to them and I can both access them via those static IP and see those assignments in Clients page.

The message regarding 1.1.1.1 appears to have 68:3A:1E Cisco Meraki. I can't see those clients in the Clients page

What might be going on? 

1 Reply 1
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is usually when the device that the endpoints connect to reboots, the devices reconnect and a number of Meraki devices default to IP address 1.1.1.1 and send out a DHCP request.  This gives them a correct IP in your subnet, but the initial moment causes this to happen.  I get it every time I upgrade the MX and MSs in the network and it is from some MRs  I also get it when I upgrade the MRs from some smart lights that also all default to the same IP whilst sending a DHCP request.

I don't find it causes any operational issue, just an annoying alert!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels