TIP: MX64 to MX67 upgrade

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

TIP: MX64 to MX67 upgrade

We just upgraded an MX64 to an MX67.  The MX64 is limited to 250Mb/s.  When you put the MX67 in that existing network the WAN bandwidth limit is maintained.  You have to go in an increase it to the MX67 limit of 450Mb/s.

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 14-09-08.png

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 14-10-50.png

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 14-11-11.png

8 REPLIES 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Awesome thanks for sharing.

@PhilipDAthHow you are you liking the MX67?  I wish the "simultaneous connection" limits of these firewalls were posted and you could actually see that detail in the dashboard.  I've got a MX80 that needs to be replaced, and I'm trying to figure out if I can get by with a 67 or not.  It's a small network, but sits in front of a couple pretty active servers.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAthHow you are you liking the MX67?  I wish the "simultaneous connection" limits of these firewalls were

> posted and you could actually see that detail in the dashboard.  I've got a MX80 that needs to be replaced, and I'm

> trying to figure out if I can get by with a 67 or not.  It's a small network, but sits in front of a couple pretty active servers.

It's going great so far.  As others have said, you need to choose the MX based on the number of devices you have in your network, as that is the only sizing information published that relates to your network.

Understood. But it isn't a good metric. What matters is how *active* (i.e. connections) those clients are. I'm simply advocating for better visibility into how many connections the MX is servicing, and how many it is rated to service. We have well under 50 clients in the aforementioned network, yet our MX80 can't keep (device utilization hits 100% daily).

For info:

MX68.PNG

It is a very capable device!

TerryVasquez
Getting noticed

Meraki has also a sizing guide for you to be able to properly choose what MX model you need on your network: https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_whitepaper_mx_sizing_guide.pdf
Terry VASQUEZ Jr.

Yes, I'm familiar with it.  It doesn't show # of connections - only recommend # of clients.  Those are two different values.

image.pngThe URL shows the recommended clients per MX models. Though # of connections, I think it supports already the # of users. I suggest if you have these numbers of clients, go for the next model (e.g. if you have 50 clients, go for the next model which is MX84 so that you still have some space for growth).

Terry VASQUEZ Jr.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels