Shaping/QoS techniques on the MX (Experience/best practise)?

Roble
Here to help

Shaping/QoS techniques on the MX (Experience/best practise)?

Good $currentdaytimeperiod $community,

I am challenged with a very low bandwidth uplink (4Mbps) soon (6Mbps) for a relative large crowd of users 50-100. In my experience you have the productive traffic and the recreational traffic which, surprise, surprise always exceeds the productive flows.

In terms of file-sharing (P2P) I already reduced the available traffic to 32Kbit/s to give every interested User a very healing experience. YouTube and such bandwidth hogs have already been shaped down to a "need to flow" basis but the sheer amount of requests still places it on 3rd place. My personal approach, if you stumble across excessive recreational application use, then shape it down and repeat.

I am interested in the QoS Part or the whitelist of your network traffic, which protocols and applications do you prefer or give higher priority in your setup? I am not talking about Applications like SAP or Office 365 but the basic Internet Protocols. For example i added ssh and traffic to meraki.com to a "high cue" and wonder which other protocols would you rate as high priority. Does it make senses to add UDP 53 and such basics to a high priority cue or are those implicitly being prioritized by the MX OS?

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Roble

4 REPLIES 4
Jack
Getting noticed

Wow 6MB sharing with 50 - 100 users? Are you using satellite or something? I don't think any QOS will help much. I would block all recreational access if possible and also get a second internet ( 4G LTE cell-based internet) and bond it together..
Roble
Here to help

WiMax & East Africa is the magic word. LTE is in the planing have to get ETH/LTE Bridge first. 😉
Jack
Getting noticed

I suggest blocking all Windows update and use a WSUS server since those things uses a lot of bandwidth.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I tend to give VoIP high priority.  Interactive traffic "medium" priority (such as RDP, maybe web browsing) and "bulk" traffic low priority (like SMTP, FTP, etc).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels