SCCM PXE boot - IP forward-protocol UDP 4011

thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

SCCM PXE boot - IP forward-protocol UDP 4011

Hi all

We have a PXE boot environment where the server is on another location.

In a Cisco classic solution I would set two IP helper addresses ( one for the DHCP server and one to the SCCM server ) and then configure " IP forward-protocol UDP 4011" to forward the broadcasted packet from the PXE boot device to the server.

I can't seem to do this on the MX. Or am I missing something ?

Thanks

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You wont be able to do this nicely.  You need to have a single server performing the DHCP and PXE boot role.  Then you need to configure the below.  The "boot filename" can be one of two values - one for old BIOS booting and one for UEFI booting.  You can only choose one - and only those kinds of machines will be able to use the system.  Hopefully everything in your environment is using UEFI now.

You'll need to get the actual filename from your environment and fill it out below.  I often get it by doing a packet capture as Google is filled with too many articles.

Capture.PNG

Not really an option.

Sorry.

Hi PhilipDAth

I'm not sure I follow the suggestion above.

The boot options only appear when the Meraki vlan is set to 'Run a DHCP' server.

So you can't specify 'Relay DHCP to another server', and bootp options

i.e. ip helper and bootp forwarding appear to be mutually exclusive in the dashboard DHCP, Vlan definition page.

swifty
Getting noticed

I've had it confirmed by TAC that you have to enable a DHCP server on the vlan, not just able to get it to act as a DHCP/BOOTP relay.
So we can;

a) Act as an ip helper / dhcp-relay and NOT a BOOTP forwarder, or

b) Act as a DHCP server (i.e. not a dhcp relay), and act as a BOOTP forwarder

Seems a bit contradictory;

a) Forward DHCP multicasts as unicasts, and DO NOT Forward BOOTP multicasts as unicasts; or

b) Forward BOOTP multicasts as unicasts, and DO NOT Forward DHCP multicasts as unicasts

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels