Routed Mode vs VPN Concentrator / Passthrough

Solved
Gedanken_leben
Conversationalist

Routed Mode vs VPN Concentrator / Passthrough

Hi all,

I am wondering why there is a choice for the two modes of operation on the MX appliance and what happens at the device level when I choose Passthrough over Routed mode. Is this the same as enabling or disabling Layer 3 functionality on a switch, routed ports vs switched ports? Any insight beyond the standard explanation of the use cases noted in the dashboard options would be much appreciated.

My understanding of MX is that it offers secure SD-WAN via Auto VPN and it offers that function in both routed mode and passthough mode. is this correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Most of the time you have a VPN Spoke ( MX ) in  Routed Mode and a VPN Hub ( also a MX ) in Concentrator mode.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Gedanken_leben
Conversationalist

Hey WW, thaks for the reply and taking time to post the links.

I am currently working through the ECMS self study guide which also directed me to the same documentation.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/FAQ-and-other-resources/ECMS-Exam-Self-study-Guide/ba-p/95926

I dont feel the documentation directly addresses my questions, and I am seeking clarification after having read those documents. I wont be able to set my lab up for another month or so, I just want to be sure that I dont continure building my house on a poorly laid foundation.

Would you be able to answer the question below, that would be really helpful for me

"My understanding of MX is that it offers secure SD-WAN via Auto VPN and it offers that function in both routed mode and passthough mode. is this correct?"

Most of the time you have a VPN Spoke ( MX ) in  Routed Mode and a VPN Hub ( also a MX ) in Concentrator mode.

Thank Raphaell, much appreciated. I feel a little more certain now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels