Redeploying vMX100 in Azure

itontherock
Conversationalist

Redeploying vMX100 in Azure

We're testing out a vMX100 in Azure and so far everything seems good. The only issue I've ran into so far is that as of right now Azure is having a required maintenance to have all Azure VMs redeployed, and the vMX100 VM is on the list of impacted resources. The problem is, I can't redeploy the VM because of the application lock set on the resource group created with deployment, and that lock can't be deleted (even using PowerShell or Azure CLI) because it's controlled and owned by the system application.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I'm curious if the planned maintenance even if left to be completed by Microsoft will allow the VM to be redeployed.

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think you'll have to open a case with Meraki support to get an answer to that one.

Terry_Grant
Conversationalist

How has your experience been with the vMX in Azure?  I'm considering it for use in an upcoming project.  Did you ever get an answer to your original question?  Terry

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Terry_Grant I've been very pleased with the vMX in Azure. Throughput has been great between our on-prem MX450's and the vMX. We run about $150/month in cost for the vMX. 

The one thing I will note is that the documentation on initial Azure deployment is really lacking. You're better off following the info in this thread here: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/vMX100-Azure-Cloud/m-p/1304#M281

MRCUR | CMNO #12
James-VetaTek
New here

I know this is an old thread however considering the documentation is still lacking / has missing steps I wanted to post the process here to save someone else hours for a 25-minute task. 

The steps below are Azure specific, it'll be slightly different for AWS.  There are also some notes about common errors that you may run into, along with some steps to correct them.  

1. Meraki Dashboard Site Cleanup
    1. Login to your Meraki Dashboard
    2. Select the Network where your vMX is located and browse to the appliance status page
    3. Remove appliance from network
      Note: Do not click on the button to deeply your vMX as this will link to the existing configuration.  Leave this window up and we'll come back to it later.  
  2. Azure Cleanup
    1. Login to the Azure Portal with an account that is an Owner of the subscription that the Meraki vMX is published under.  
      Note: This is very important as if you don't have this permission you won't be able to deploy the vMX again in the later steps.  
    2. Stop the vMX linux VM
      Note: this is to remove any locks on the items that might be considered in-use
    3. Browse to Manage Application Center in Azure
    4. Select All Applications from the left nav
    5. Delete the Market Place application for your Cisco Meraki vMX
      Note: This will delete the managed application resource group and all components of the vMX in one swoop for you.  Deleting these manually will lead to errors.  
    6. Confirm you would like to delete the vMX application
    7. Wait 5-10 minutes for the cleanup to finish deleting all objects
    8. Refresh the All Applications view to confirm the vMX is fully removed.  
  3. Meraki Dashboard: Deploying the new vMX
    Note: You'll have 1 hour to complete the remaining steps.  If you run into errors or take longer than an hour you'll need to restart with a new Authentication token as it will have expired.  
    1. Refer back to the page from step 1.3 above and click on the link to add your vMX
    2. Once the vMX is added to the site click on the Generate Authentication Token
    3. Copy this token for use later in the Azure portal
  4. Azure Portal: Deploying the new vMX
    1. Browse to Managed Application Center again
    2. In the left nav select Marketplace Applications
    3. Click Add and Search for the Cisco Meraki vMX
    4. Select the Cisco Meraki vMX from the list and on the next page click create
    5. Configure vMX for your Azure subscription
      1. Assign the vMX to the Azure sub you want to host this under
      2. Create a new resource group, or select a resource group to host the vMX in
      3. Select / verify your region
      4. Provide Name your vMX
        Note: This will be the name of the Linux VM you'll see moving forward
      5. Paste the Authentication token from step 3.3 into the authentication token field
      6. Select the Zone.  
        Note: Important note here, if your Region does not have Zones available make sure you select None from the dropdown.  If you get an error later in the deployment stating The Operation Failed, run through the cleanup, and when deploying again select an available Zone.  
      7. Click Next to configure the vNet properties
      8. Select the Azure vNet you want the vMX deployed to
      9. Select the Azure Subnet you want the vMX deployed to
        Note: if you get an error during the deployment stating 'The operation failed / Subnet can one be used for the ___ resource' make sure you're selecting the right subnet from the list.  
      10. Click next and check the box to agree to the terms and conditions
      11. Click Create
      12. Allow time for the vMX to deploy.  This is typically 30-60 minutes.  
        Note: if it appears to be hung, let it go
  5. Meraki Dashboard: Finalize & Verify Deployment
    1. In the Meraki dashboard, refresh the Applicance Status page for the vMX site
    2. Confirm the device is showing properly, with the ports, and connectivity
    3. Test the device connectivity / setup the site-2-site VPN hub / spokes 

Hope this helps others save time and fills in the gaps.  

Just an update as support seems to be using this tech note as the way to fix things.  We updated the firmware on our vMX100 this morning and it fried it.  When following the process above we ran into several issues.

In step 2/2 when we tried to stop the VM it was throwing a message about deny assignments.  I finally just skipped this step.

In step 2/5, in order to delete the app you have to select the link for the app and then you will get a delete icon.

I would also suggest that you capture the config screen for your VM prior to going through this process so that you can remember some of the configuration items when you recreate the VM.

I hope this helps.  Many thanks to James-VetaTek for the write up.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels