Rebooting and MX64 with no connection to meraki cloud.

CharlieCrackle
Building a reputation

Rebooting and MX64 with no connection to meraki cloud.

With the updates to the Meraki cloud dash board last week.  I have had a couple of MX loose connection to the cloud.  the MX is still working and all the SDWAN is still working.  The Meraki dashboard says lost connection to the device.

Logged a support case and was told I just need to reboot the MX and all will be ok as issue with keys to cloud connection.

This is fine for one  and a reboot fixed this.  The other one is at a data-centre and it will cost me $100 to get remote hands to go to rack and pull the power and plug back in.      Why should customer have to pay $100 because of a meraki dashboard upgrade ??

Is there some other way to reboot the device.   I got the data-center to SHUT and NO SHUT the port that connects to the internet in case the resetting of the network port would fix it.   It did not and the device is still working but has no connection to cloud.

I have local access to the meraki web page (config page)   can not see any reboot option here..

Does meraki have a back door ssh  to reset the device ??     is there some way to reboot this device remotely with no cloud access ?

13 REPLIES 13
Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

Hi, unfortunately there`s no way to restore the fabric setting on mx without physical access. The only way is to keeping the reset factory button pressed. The reboot option only will work if you have cloud connectivity.

Regards,

Johnny Fernandez
Network & Security Engineer
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

The device has full internet access

It has just lost the Meraki  cloud connection tunnel  connection between device and meraki cloud.

When I connect the the local web interface it says it is connected to the meraki cloud

when I go to the dashboard it says device has not connected for 5 days

the SDWAN is working so it mush be registering the VPN ip addresses ok

I do not want to reboot and find it does not work at $100 per 15 min.   how log will the device keep working with no cloud connection  is there a license issue eventually ?

You can try to get down the uplinks and get them up again to refresh the meraki cloud connectivity!! 

Is not a Meraki issue that you have the MX in a place where u have to spend 100$ sorry 😞

Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

Meraki support are saying they can not connect.

Why would this happen and only to a couple of devices ??  how can meraki not allow this to happen again during a dashboard upgrade ?

Charles

With any device exist a little risk that after it is upgraded it doesn`t work properly. So I suggest u that you can perform an RMA to Meraki if the restaring does not fix the issue. Currently I have a network around a country with 250 branches and every branch has a MX 84 that I have to upgrade. So I`m preventing the issue taking in count the physical location because is a risk to take in count when you upgrade a network device, regardless if it is Meraki or not.

If a device does not work properly after the upgrade process I`ll be near from them to replace them and send the broken MX to Meraki if any device results with hardware issues.

Johnny

Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@CharlieCrackle wrote:

Does meraki have a back door ssh  to reset the device ??     is there some way to reboot this device remotely with no cloud access ?

I'm afraid there isn't. There's a reboot API command, but that requires the cloud connection to be functioning. I'm afraid you'll have to bite the bullet and have someone reboot the device.

I agree, it would make sense to have the option to reboot the MX from the local status page.

Thanks

I have added a wish for a reboot button the  local config page.

Because of COVID-19 there is a LOCK DOWN at the data centre so I can not get rebooted.

But today the device came on line for 15 minutes. and then stopped.. 

How would this be possible ?

The device is still working and the SDWAN is working (how are the SDWAN updates working ?)

That's strange. If you're sure there's no firewall blocking the cloud connection, I'd open a support ticket. Maybe the shard you're on is unstable.

What does the local status page report about the MX's connections?

image.png

Snap51.jpg

It says connected....

little bit that connected today

Snap76.png

Interesting how the bit before the the green is NOT red any more.. 

I logged case and they are looking at it.

Interesting, I think that the best option is contacting support, they can perform changes from the backend.

Regards, Have a nice day 😄
Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

An update for all

After support looked at the local debug file they discovered it was connecting to a different server "For some unknown reason"  they logged on to that different server and  rebooted it from there  and now it is working... 🙂

Good. Thanks for reporting back!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels