Printer Plug into Port2 Showing "Offline"

Jsmittz
Here to help

Printer Plug into Port2 Showing "Offline"

I recently installed and MX67W. All clients connecting via wireless are having no issue, I have a desktop plugged in that is connected no issue; however, my printer that is connected to port 2 is showing as "offline" to all wireless and wired clients. When I tried to run a diagnostics on the printer, it claimed there was a firewall issue, but I do not have any firewalling codes set up to block anything.

Has anyone run into this before, or is there something that I am overlooking that is preventing the printer from showing as "online"?

13 Replies 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing it is relying on some kind of multicast messaging that is failing.

Try giving the printer a static IP, and configuring the clients to talk directly to that.

I thought so too, but as I investigated it more.. While the port it is plugged into is showing green in the dashboard, the printer itself is not showing up in the list of clients in the dashboard.

I have also tried swapping the port I have the printer plugged into with no avail, and have shut the printer down and rebooted it hoping it was an easy work around like that with no success either.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

What speed/duplex does the port show the connection as in the Dashboard? (Mouse over the port and it will show you). Check the DHCP server to see if it has issued an IP address (I'm guessing not, if its not appearing in the Dashboard)

Port is showing "Port Connected, 100Mbps, Full Duplex". I am not seeing and DHCP leases showing up for it in the dashboard either.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Not sure if it's related, but I've had these types of issues before. The problem was that the printer was going into a low power mode and appeared to be switching off part of its Ethernet controller (probably part of Energy Efficient Ethernet). The result was the Meraki kit dropped back to 10Mbps half duplex and communications failed. To get around this I forced the port to 1Gbps full duplex, and the issue went away.

You have to make these (speed/duplex) changes from the local admin page on the MX. The other option is to look at the printer and see if there is a power setting you can disable that might achieve the same outcome (if that is the issue of course).

Port is showing green, "Port Connected, 100Mbps, Full Duplex" without me touching anything

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Do you know if the printer has a 100Mbps port or a 1Gbps port? If its reasonably new I'd be surprised if it only has a 100Mbps port.

The printer is old and only has 1 port.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Okay, so I'd suggest the steps from here are test the printer in a known working port (e.g. the one the desktop is in). If that doesn't work, then I'd try forcing the speed/duplex on the port to see if that works. If you have a spare switch I'd try it on that too (maybe connect the printer to the switch, and the switch to the MX), but I'm beginning to think the issue is with the printer. You can also try a packet capture and see if any thing is coming into the port at all. Its just a matter of narrowing down the issue.

@Bruce When you suggest "I'd try forcing the speed/duplex on the port to see if that works.", how do I go about doing this?

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

You have to connect to the local status page on the MX - mx.meraki.com. This will allow you to change the ports on the MX from auto-negotiate to various fixed speeds and duplex. More details on the local status page are here, https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me....

CN
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

An observation

The printer is likely showing offline in dashboard because it isn't passing any traffic. Once it starts passing traffic it will show up as an active client. Once it stops it will likely go "offline" in dashboard. Totally expected behavior as we use traffic as a way to determine if it's online.

Some suggested avenues of troubleshooting. I apologize if this is above your comfort level, this is a public forum so I'm trying to include as much information as possible in case others might benefit. If that's the case you might go ahead and speak with Meraki Support. 

Checking settings

Does the printer have an IP address? Is it set to use DHCP?

You mentioned you're not seeing a lease in dashboard, what about from the printer help page?

Can the printer IP be set manually?

Is it the correct IP address according to the vlan that you have it in?

Is your MX port configured correctly? Probably easiest setting it up as an access port with the same vlan as all your other clients. 

If you're still in port 2, make sure that it's not configured as an internet uplink. 

Verify connectivity

Are you able to ping the printer?

Are you able to access the printer's web interface? (assuming it has one)

Troubleshoot the printing problem

If you're familiar with Wireshark I would suggest you take a packet capture on the LAN interface of the MX with a filter expression of "host IPofPrinter" (it might just be easier to start by taking a packet capture on the wired computer). See how it's communicating, and the type of traffic that it's sending. If you're not familiar with Wireshark, now might be a great opportunity to take a peek at what's going on. If you check out my Wireshark community post, I have some information about getting started. Based on the age that you mentioned, the thing that I would be interested in most is seeing if the computer and printer can form a TCP handshake: SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK. It could very well be some other method that you'd need to find from the manufacture. 

To troubleshoot why it isn't getting an IP, we need to see all the communication on the LAN. So I'd recommend a filter expression of "not host MYcomputerIP. 

Meraki Support can certainly take a look as well, to make sure everything is set up correctly. Probably best done by calling so we can troubleshoot this live. Based on that, they'd be able to give you some more specific next steps. 

Footnote. The reason it might be easier to take a packet capture from the computer is that when you're doing a LAN capture (and aren't using a filter expression) on the same MX that your computer is connected to, is because otherwise, you start capturing that capture of your capture. It's recursion all the way down to a very large file and likely a failed download. So when you're on the LAN of the MX, it's always best to use a filter expression of the device you're troubleshooting or "not host MYcomputerIP".

Jsmittz
Here to help

@CNThank you for the response..  When I say the printer is showing offline, I guess I should specify that it is showing as "offline" to the devices trying to connect and print from it. From the dashboard, it is not showing up as a connected device. While it is plugged into a port, and the port is showing green with connectivity in the dashboard, it is not pulling it in as a device on the network.

I did engage Meraki support, who was going to pull a packet capture to see if any traffic was being sent out on that port.

Please let me know if this helps clarify the issue and give you any other thoughts on troubleshooting.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels