Ping through MX Interface to IP on different Interface

SOLVED
Grant3779
Here to help

Ping through MX Interface to IP on different Interface

Hi All,

On the ASA you are unable to ping an Interface IP if the icmp traffic comes in via another interface. This is by "design"

Is this also a design of the Meraki MX appliances? I haven't managed to test this yet.

I'm "hoping" I can send a ping to the MX Internet / WAN address but the source of the ICMP would be from a LAN device behind another interface on the MX.

(Correct routing would all be in place).

There is a specific reason I am looking for this ability 🙂

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX is not using ASA code for firewalling.

Just tested this: in case routing works and policies don't kick in, you're free to ping another MX interface than the one you're behind from a Layer 3 perspective.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX is not using ASA code for firewalling.

Just tested this: in case routing works and policies don't kick in, you're free to ping another MX interface than the one you're behind from a Layer 3 perspective.

Thanks for testing this both. Means i can setup an IPSLA LAN side on my Cisco kit for this.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Grant3779 wrote:

I'm "hoping" I can send a ping to the MX Internet / WAN address but the source of the ICMP would be from a LAN device behind another interface on the MX.

Yes, that works. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels