Non-Meraki Peers + Subnet Routing

SOLVED
BrianSTL
Comes here often

Non-Meraki Peers + Subnet Routing

I have a fleet of vehicles that use CradlePoint devices to terminate Non-Meraki Peers while on LTE in the field.  It works wonderfully.  Now the trucks need to pull into our garage where they will pull up wireless on our local network.  In the field our trucks use 192.168.1-25.0/24.  

I was going to use the feature "Active When Next Hop Responds to Ping" on a static route.  This seemed logical as when the truck pulls into the garage the 192.168.1.2 Gateway will be available on the CradlePoint side.  However, I am required to setup all these subnets and when I do I get a conflict that the subnet already exists in the Non-Meraki Peers and the config can't be saved.  Am I approaching this incorrectly? As it doesn't seem possible. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

The next hop is an address that is on one of the LAN subnets of your MX. If I understood correctly the 192.168.1.2 is an address of the Cradlepoint's LAN subnet.

You can't have the next hop be an address in the subnet that you actually want to reach.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

The next hop is an address that is on one of the LAN subnets of your MX. If I understood correctly the 192.168.1.2 is an address of the Cradlepoint's LAN subnet.

You can't have the next hop be an address in the subnet that you actually want to reach.

It took me a minute but I understand what you are saying.. I think what I need to do is reserve IPs in the Wireless allocation so I can route to that specific IP. .So when a Cradlepoint pulls in the garage I need to have a reservation or possibly even a different SSID on another subnet that will handle routing for all or 192.168.0.xxx/24 subnets.  It will assign that "reserved" address to the CradlePoint and that becomes my next hop.  My brain hurts trying to figure out how a PC can be behind a router that moves networks on the WAN side and the MX handle routing to the same address space depending on what is connected.  

Yes, if the Cradlepoint acts as a router, you could setup it's "WAN" address to be the next hop with the subnet being cradlepoint LAN subnet. Then hopefully (you'll need to test this), the route becomes active when the trucks comes in. And it'll have preference over the VPN route, so that Wi-Fi is preferred over LTE. You'll also have to setup static IP mapping so that the trucks' Cradlepoints each get their own static IP address everytime.

When two trucks have the same subnet on the LAN side, you'll have issues though...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels