No traffic through VPN Tunnel

Solved
John8
Conversationalist

No traffic through VPN Tunnel

I have an MX84 running as a VPN Hub and I am testing a Z3 as a spoke. Remote user is able to setup Z3 to home internet provider and I can establish the hub and spoke VPN tunnel. I can ping the laptop and I can see it on my dashboard so I know the tunnel is there, however, the user cannot open any shared files or applications from her laptop. I do not see any traffic coming through the VPN tunnel. The requests seem to be going out her home internet provider instead of the tunnel. Our client VPN works fine though. We were just counting on the Z3 device to be a more reliable connection for our remote sales staff.  Any suggestions or questions. 

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@John8 have you added the same WINS entries to the wireless adapter on the client?  If not I'd set the DHCP custom option for them on the Z3 DHCP server as that will cover both.

The DHCP option for WINS servers is option 44, IP and a comma separated list of the WINS servers.

Hopefully that should do it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you look at the z3 route table. Has it learned the routes/subnets to the application

John8
Conversationalist

Thank you for the reply, I found that on our Client VPN that was working fine, there was a static IP setting for the WINS servers enabled. When I added these two IP addresses to the remote users latptop IPV4 Properties settings under the WINS tab, the remote user was able to finally get in. 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Are the DHCP name server options configured correctly for the network that the user is connecting to? Is the user getting the corporate DNS settings so they can resolve server names?

John8
Conversationalist

Now I have a new issue with the same VPN Z3. Once we got it working last week, it worked great all weekend. Yesterday I enabled the SSID/WiFi on the Z3 so that the user would not have to be tethered to the Z3 on her laptop. Once she removed the ethernet cable from the Z3 that was connected to her laptop, she could no longer connect to the network again. Is there a DHCP setting for the SSID that I did not configure correctly or something else. I am assuming that is the purpose of the SSIDs on the Z3 devices, so that the remote user does not have to be tethered to her Z3 when accessing the company network. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@John8 have you added the same WINS entries to the wireless adapter on the client?  If not I'd set the DHCP custom option for them on the Z3 DHCP server as that will cover both.

The DHCP option for WINS servers is option 44, IP and a comma separated list of the WINS servers.

Hopefully that should do it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels