New to Meraki -- switching over existing equipment

jsdrexel
Comes here often

New to Meraki -- switching over existing equipment

Hello, we are fairly new to Meraki and was wondering something about an existing configuration. 

We are going to be moving some current, in-place APs and firewalls over from a current dashboard at another client over to ours. I was told that when they "release" the devices, that the devices would lose the configuration. 

Is there a way to capture the current configuration and put it in place on the new dashboard, or maybe even an export/import option so we don't lose the entire configuration?

Thank you! Greatly appreciated!

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Great question, generally in the most common cases people use APIs to execute the configurations.

Here you can find some scripts, hope it helps.

https://developer.cisco.com/codeexchange/github/repo/meraki/automation-scripts/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
jsdrexel
Comes here often

So then no simple "export configuration" option from the dashboard I'm guessing? The APs aren't that big of a deal, the firewall will be a little more involved I'm guessing. 

Unfortunately not, if it were in the same organization you could clone the settings.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As mentioned cloning if within the same Org, I would say the reason there isn't an easy way between orgs is because it probably very rarely happens because moving items between Orgs can get messy in terms of legal ownership. 

Also bear in mind the licensing will NOT follow the equipment. It will remain in the original Org.

@BlakeRichardson  - disagree with the last comment about licensing.  I’ve done this quite a few times for some Edu customers and a call/email to Meraki support can see those licenses moved over as well.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Correct, yes I should have mentioned that they won't follow by default and that you need to contact support. I just didn't want the OP to move things and expect the licensing to automatically follow. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Screenshots are your friend.

I haven't used these for a *long* time, but you could try my backup/restore script.  Backup the source network(s), and then restore those into the new org.

https://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-backup.html 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels