New network and route

Eric_McClure
Here to help

New network and route

Hi everyone,

So I have question to see if anyone else has came across the same problem. I create my network with a API script the day before to simplify the job for the technicien that goes to install the next morning. The issue is, we noticed that when I run the script, even if the equipment's are not installed physically so the network is down, Meraki has the "route' already setup. So the issue we have is when the route is announced before hand the other networks on the same subnet can't reach the network that is still up with old equipment since it's taking the path directly to the Meraki network that is not operational yet...

Anyways hard to explain but does anyone know if we can have Meraki not announce the route until the network equipment's are starting their config ?

8 REPLIES 8
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is related to the autovpn  i assume? Maybe  turn off autovpn at the end of you script and enable it when the device is up and running

Yeah only issue is that option is in our template, all networks are bound to a template if I change something to the template is changes for all networks.

Jerome_EVAGroup
Here to help

Hi @Eric_McClure 

Did you open a ticket with Meraki support ?

I'm usually doing the same by staging spokes ahead but I dont remember the routes to be advertised before network being turned up

However, I faced a similar issue on the hub side => when a hub was down, the route was kept in the routing table of all spokes leading to a blackhole situation

After few discussions with Meraki, they activated a backend feature (has_track_peer_true_for_l3_vpn_hub_routes) to start tracking those routes and stop advertising them if the hub was down .

They may have a similar feature for spokes 

Yes we are opening a ticket with Meraki Support. But I still wanted to check with the community.

Thank you so much for your response I hope we can find the solution.

If it is the only route to the destination then that is expected behaviour.

No it is not the only route we create the network before hand so that we can do the switch the next day but don't need so much ressources. So the "original" route is on the DMVPN network and is still up.

If it is the only route in the Meraki route table to the destination then that is expected behaviour.

Yes that is true, we're in talks with Meraki. It should not create the route in the route table if the equipment has never connected / fetched config.

Very good help from the support and thanks to everyone for the help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels