Network name longer than 50 characters error when name is 40 characters

SOLVED
MikeFarah
Conversationalist

Network name longer than 50 characters error when name is 40 characters

We are using the create network API to create a new network with 'copyFromNetworkId' set.

We've noticed that when setting a name with 40 characters 'SIT0000FZQ - Mikey123409062021-with-wifi' we get a

{"errors":["Name is too long (maximum is 50 characters)"]} back from the 

create network API end point.

If we drop the copyFromNetworkId then the name works fine.

It seems like setting copyFromNetworkId somehow secretly takes some characters available in the network name? Can we know what the rules are so we can validate the network name length before attempting to create it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Meraki support got back to me (quick) there response is:

Standalone combined network name is limited with 38 characters for combined network due to the network type suffix (MX, MS, MR) get appended to the name without visibility. The validation limitation is 50 characters.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Using the copyFromNetwordId parameter shouldn't be changing the length available to other parameters, and the reference says that any other provided parameters should override those from the copied network (so it shouldn't be creating a name like 'A copy of ...').

I suspect this is a bug and I'd raise a support ticket. 

MikeFarah
Conversationalist

Will do - I'm surprised no else has encountered this to be honest..

Meraki support got back to me (quick) there response is:

Standalone combined network name is limited with 38 characters for combined network due to the network type suffix (MX, MS, MR) get appended to the name without visibility. The validation limitation is 50 characters.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels