JasonBAU
New here

Shaping Host Names

Are shaping host names absolute or do they cover the sub domains

i.e will microsoft.com cover bill.microsoft.com

1 Accepted Solution
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Was curious, so I tested it in my lab. And yes, microsoft.com does cover all the sub-domains too.

I set a quick traffic shaping rule that set the DSCP to CS4 for microsoft.com and did some packet captures to both www.microsoft.com and docs.microsoft.com, everything was marked as CS4. Then I changed the rule to www.microsoft.com, and only traffic to the www.microsoft.com IP address was then marked as CS4, traffic to docs.microsoft.com was back to DSCP DF.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I've always been led to believe that they cover sub domains, so microsoft.com implies *.microsoft.com also (* being a wildcard). However, I can't find any documentation to support this with regards to the MX traffic shaping rules. I'd also expect that for it to work the MX has to see the DNS request go out and the response return to be able to match the hostname to the IP address.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Was curious, so I tested it in my lab. And yes, microsoft.com does cover all the sub-domains too.

I set a quick traffic shaping rule that set the DSCP to CS4 for microsoft.com and did some packet captures to both www.microsoft.com and docs.microsoft.com, everything was marked as CS4. Then I changed the rule to www.microsoft.com, and only traffic to the www.microsoft.com IP address was then marked as CS4, traffic to docs.microsoft.com was back to DSCP DF.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels