Moving Network

Woodlark
Conversationalist

Moving Network

I have a client that will be moving into a new location this fall. They currently have an MX 65, some Meraki switches and access points. I have purchased an MX 68 for the new location to set up and install prior to the move to configure and  validate internet and to provide internet for some new PC's prior to the move. I would like to get the new site up and running, and then just move the networking equipment over from the old site to the new site on a weekend. I would like the configuration to be the same except for the routeable internet IP's that will be different at the new location. 

Whats the best way to do this? I see there is a clone option, and also a templte option. Do I need to create a new network to copy the config from the existing router to the new router, and then somehow add the remaining existing equipment to the newly created "network" or can I just copy the config and change the address for the new location... I cant seem to find any answers to this.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

James.

5 REPLIES 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Woodlark Have you setup the new MX in the new network within the same organisation? If you have you should be able to move the device to the new network.

I can't find anywhere in the documentation about what happens to the switches config if you move it to another network but at a guess I would imagine it would stay the same.

If you have loaded the new MX into a entirely new organisation you will need to contact support to get the devices transferred and you would most likely lose their config.

All I've done so far is claimed it in the org. I'm trying to figure out how to set it up in the existing org if possible. Maybe config sync? I've never had to do this yet.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi James,

I understand "Clone from existing network" may be the method to start with. There after you may tweak few settings on the newly created network.

I hope you have read the following documentation on this subject.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Cloning_Networks...

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Thanks. I will read that!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Create a new temporary network.  Put the MX68 into that.  Verify everything works.

On the day of the shift remove the MX68 from the temporary network.  Remove the MX65 from the primary network.  Add the MX68 to the primary network.  Delete the temporary network.

Done.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels