Most stable/best firmware version?

gr
Conversationalist

Most stable/best firmware version?

Hello! 

My MX64's randomly loses the ability to connect to Multiple VPN registries using UDP port 9350. I'm on a CenturyLink ADSL connection w/ PPPoE. The modem is set to pass through but somehow my MX64 is unable to receive UDP packets from Meraki but it's sending them. To fix this I have to reboot my MX64. 

PS... Even turning VPN off-and-on again doesn't work. 

I'm pretty sure this is an ISP issue but I want to make sure everything on my end is covered. I want to upgrade the firmware but with all the choices from 13.1 onwards, I don't know which FW version is stable. Any recommendations?

9 REPLIES 9
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I'm currently using firmware in the 14.X range on MXen without any problems. I'm not sure what the highest firmware available is to your network(s), but I wouldn't be afraid to try some of the very recent versions if you have them available. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
EaSi123
Just browsing

Have you tried to set the ip and port on the MX for the VPN?  Does rebooting the DSL router work as well? It really seems like DSL router problem.    Have dozens of VPNs running for years, without any problem.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've had this issue before with an ISP that ran client connects through a state-full firewall.  It would time the connections out making them fail.  Resetting the Internet connection made it work again for a while.  We had to move that client to a different ISP.

In your case, are you sure your CenturyLink device has the latest firmware?

robby_barnes
Getting noticed

Our organization has about 1500 retail locations and several of them were having similar issues.  We updated to 14.7 for a while, and it resolved about half of the stores' problems.  We just updated to 14.11 this last week (which is the newest beta available) and it has been pretty solid.

We generally try to stay away from the bleeding edge betas since we have so many stores that it impacts, however 14.11 has been really solid for us so far, across several versions of MX's across our retail locations.

It is not available through the dashboard for self service yet, but if you call support they can push it out for you.

gr
Conversationalist

wow, thank you very much, I will consider 14.11. Question by any chance do you use Century Link ADSL with PPPoE? 

We do, yes.  Unfortunately it's usually our Tier 1 support that deals with the problems, so I'm not super familiar with the specifics on how it's used, but we have some of everything across our stores.  I rolled out the newer firmware and it resolved a lot of weird issues we had with ISPs, including Century Link lines, with PPPoE

gr
Conversationalist

Thank you very much, I will try version 14.11 and report back. Cheers!

Jerodr
Conversationalist

Hi gr,

We have experienced this exact same issue with an mx64w connected to a centurylink Adsl modem with a PPPoE connection in passthrough mode. The vpn would not connect at all even though the firewall was online without issue. I called CenturyLink and found out that they had increased the line speed to 40-50Mbps from the purchased 15 or 20Mbps (cant remember which speed) during some back end testing, which apparently caused stability issues with the line. Once they reset the speed back to purchased speed and rebooted their modem, the vpn instantly connected. Hope this helps.

Jerod

Did have some problems with firmware 14.11 and VPN's that stopped working.  Downgrading to an older beta firmware fixed that again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels