Meraki Reporting via API for WAN 2 Status

SOLVED
TyMunn
Conversationalist

Meraki Reporting via API for WAN 2 Status

I'm using the Meraki API's from a Google Sheet to get additional metrics. However, I can't seem to find and/or if a report exists for WAN2? I am using the API report under "Org Wide" then "Device Uplink Details"

It gives me the status of WAN1 whether active or not or if an ip address is not defined.

Does this report or data exist somewhere for WAN2?

The business use case is WAN2 is often our 4G failover and/or a slower connection alternate vendor to WAN1 but want to make sure the back is operable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The MX64 does return WAN2 data.  Below is what I got back from the call. (I of course changed my public IP address.)

{

'interface': 'WAN 1',

'status': 'Active', 'ip': '1.1.1.1',

'gateway': '1.1.1.2', 'publicIp':

'1.1.1.1', 'dns':

'1.1.1.2',

'usingStaticIp': False

},

{

'interface': 'WAN 2',

'status':

'Not connected'

}

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Maybe the uplinkLossAndLatency call can help:

https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/7928889/SVmsVg6K?version=latest#1c41b7af-419c-4e2a-9672-4c7fa...

It allows you to check the loss and latency percentages of both WAN links and the cellular one.

@BrechtSchamp this works very well thanks! Looking for something a little more cleaner you're right at least with latency I found some WAN2's that were on the console that showed ready but when I did a test failover WAN2 did not connect at all. We repositioned the 4G PepWave and then re-ran the report better signal and the failover test worked.

Thank you!

CCIE-Adam
Getting noticed

I poll all my MX devices using the uplinkstatus endpoint and it pull back both WAN1 and WAN2 stats.  What model MX are you using?

TyMunn
Conversationalist

We are using MX64 and MX67 devices @CCIE-Adam 

I'll definitely take a look at this option as well. Thanks for your response really appreciate it!

TyMunn
Conversationalist

@CCIE-Adam can you point me to document or url for the uplink status endpoint you referenced previously?

If you login to your dashboard and click the Help dropdown in the top right and select API Docs.  Scroll down on the left until you see Devices.  Under that look for Return the uplink information for a device.  I don't know how to find a link outside my dashboard.  The issue you may be facing is that the MX64 and MX67 don't have dedicated Internet 2 ports. You are essentially taking on of the lan ports and making it a WAN port.  Let me do some testing on a MX64 I have.

TyMunn
Conversationalist

Thanks appreciate it! I did find the document now and I'm going to test it in Postman.

The MX64 does return WAN2 data.  Below is what I got back from the call. (I of course changed my public IP address.)

{

'interface': 'WAN 1',

'status': 'Active', 'ip': '1.1.1.1',

'gateway': '1.1.1.2', 'publicIp':

'1.1.1.1', 'dns':

'1.1.1.2',

'usingStaticIp': False

},

{

'interface': 'WAN 2',

'status':

'Not connected'

}

TyMunn
Conversationalist

Nice!!! Thank's again. Exactly what we were looking for! @CCIE-Adam 

You're welcome.  Glad I could help!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels