Meraki MX - More than two WAN ports

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Meraki MX - More than two WAN ports

Currently, all MX models only support a Maximum of two active WAN ports with the cellular/USB interface used for last resort. Can any of the Meraki employees within the community advise if Meraki is going to look at the ability to have more than two active WAN ports on the MX's?

This current limitation is definitely a stumbling block for some of the SD-WAN deals. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How about using two MX units.

Plug two WAN circuits into the first unit.  Then run a LAN cable into the WAN port of the next, and plug in the next WAN circuit, and finally plug the actual LAN into this second unit?

<circuit1>---+-------

| MX +-----------+

<circuit2>---+------+              |

+----+

<circuit3>------------------------+MX +-----------<internal network>

+-----+

Thanks, @PhilipDAth, Technically and a viable and achievable solution. however, expensive and the introduction of more MX's means more management overhead and points of failures.

The main point I'm trying to make is that other SD-WAN vendors offer the ability to have more than two WAN ports on their hardware, surely the MX hardware supports the ability and is more of a software limitation?  

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

I agree. At my prior position, we had a fiber connection as the primary WAN and then five ADSL connections as the backup WAN, we ended up connecting the five ADSL modems into a pfSense firewall (it had pf disabled so it was just routing) and connecting the pfSense into WAN2 of the MX. Not ideal by a long shot but it has done the trick for over a year now. The pfSense was able to support all six WANs by itself when it was the main firewall.

JamesWynen
Here to help

Agreed.  We currently are using the dual MX setup. It’s not ideal. Certainly the MXx5 line has the processing power and already have 4 dedicated WAN ports. (2 get greyed out). Is there any update on when and if Meraki will update firmware to activate more than 2 at one time?  Pipedream?  Or at the least allow a failover when one of the 2 actives goes down.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels