Meraki MX Auto-VPN with different license

Solved
Jyrki_Halonen
Getting noticed

Meraki MX Auto-VPN with different license

I read some blog that MX could connect to another MX with AutoVPN even MXs would have different licensing within the organization.Is this information valid?

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX's can't have different licensed within the same organisation. They must all have the same license type 

Edit: Looks like they can have different licensed in some scenarios. In which case yes, AutoVPN can work between differently licensed MX's as the feature is supported on both advanced and SD-WAN Plus licenses.

"Can we mix two license types in a single organization?

MX licensing can now support mixed licensing with Per Device SDW+ licenses. For instance, if you have 25 MX networks in your organization, you can have 20 MX devices with Advance Security features and upgrade 5 MX devices with Per Device SD-WAN Plus licenses to get SD-WAN features. 

However, the above is not supported with the Enterprise licenses. Enterprise licensed customers cannot be in a mixed license environment. "

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_MX_Security_and_SD-WAN_Lice...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX's can't have different licensed within the same organisation. They must all have the same license type 

Edit: Looks like they can have different licensed in some scenarios. In which case yes, AutoVPN can work between differently licensed MX's as the feature is supported on both advanced and SD-WAN Plus licenses.

"Can we mix two license types in a single organization?

MX licensing can now support mixed licensing with Per Device SDW+ licenses. For instance, if you have 25 MX networks in your organization, you can have 20 MX devices with Advance Security features and upgrade 5 MX devices with Per Device SD-WAN Plus licenses to get SD-WAN features. 

However, the above is not supported with the Enterprise licenses. Enterprise licensed customers cannot be in a mixed license environment. "

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_MX_Security_and_SD-WAN_Lice...

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Brash When did the license piece change?  I was under the impression that an Org had to be licensed at the same level.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Honestly not too sure as I've always used co-term rather than PDL.

Just figured I should double check my answer with some quick Googling 😅

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I first heard of this new model with the introduction of the subscription-based Licensing. But it seems that it is also possible without the subscription-model. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels