MX85 and connecting an MR46

Drother
Comes here often

MX85 and connecting an MR46

Hi all - please advise if it's possible to use WAN port 4 (which has PoE) on an MX85, to connect an MR46 AP ?

I was not aware that the MX85 LAN ports are not PoE so looking for options. I connected it up and while the AP had power, the port showed as disconnected. Would also wonder how I'd have to set up the IP if this is viable ?

If this is not possible I guess a power injector would be my next step. 

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

No you cannot use the WAN port for this use case. You’ll need a PoE injector, AC adapter, or PoE switch. 

Thanks - thought it might be a long-shot !

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Am I the only one wondering why the MX85 has POE on a WAN port?  I can't think of a purpose for that.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

To power a Meraki MG cell gateway without the need for an injector, AC adapter, or PoE switch. Makes for a clean single cable option when using the cell gateway. And with a MX HA design WAN 2 from each MX can connect to the two ports on the MG41 giving both PoE redundancy as well as data path redundancy. 

I think some CradlePoints can also be powered via PoE so the MX85/95/105 could also work with those deployments.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels