MX84 Passthrough Setup

SOLVED
3ffdot
Here to help

MX84 Passthrough Setup

I would like to setup my MX84 in passthrough mode behind my Cisco ASA and into a layer 3 switch.  I have it configured as a passthrough from the dashboard but it the physical connections to the ASA and the layer 3 switch are where it isn't working as expected.  The MX need an IP from the WAN 1 connection but it also need two other connections to the ASA and layer 3 switch respectively.  The current documentation doesn't clearly explain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Iets assume the L3 switch knows the way to the internet. 

Connect the the MX Internet port to the L3 switch, and make sure the MX gets a IP-address and gateway address to the L3 switch.

Then connect the firewall to one of the (LAN) ports on the MX.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why does it need to other connections to the ASA?

As a test, if I plug in a laptop to one of the ports it hands out a DHCP address in the same VLAN as the MX but I don't want it to hand out anything to the L3 switch I just want traffic to go through it.  I though about plugging the uplink of the L3 switch (currently goes to the ASA) to the MX only, is that what you are suggesting?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Iets assume the L3 switch knows the way to the internet. 

Connect the the MX Internet port to the L3 switch, and make sure the MX gets a IP-address and gateway address to the L3 switch.

Then connect the firewall to one of the (LAN) ports on the MX.

3ffdot
Here to help

That is exactly what I did last night after thinking it through.  Thank you for your reply.

RANT
Comes here often

Why does this seem backwards?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels