MX84 MAC Address

SOLVED
Matt_Armfield
Here to help

MX84 MAC Address

I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer here.

On an MX84, how does one determine the mac address of the WAN2 port?  The http:\\wired.meraki.com page shows the hardware address of the MX but not for the WAN 2 port.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Matt Armfield

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Matt

I could not see that either on the  Local status page / dashboard.

I quick idea was to take a packet capture on Internet Port 2. There I got the MAC Address of the Source Interface.

MAC Address WAN2.PNG

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Matt

I could not see that either on the  Local status page / dashboard.

I quick idea was to take a packet capture on Internet Port 2. There I got the MAC Address of the Source Interface.

MAC Address WAN2.PNG

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Just a guess here since I haven't checked but i'd think that the WAN2 MAC would be one higher than the WAN1 MAC. So for example:

WAN1: e0:55:3d:8c:32:08

WAN2: e0:55:3d:8c:32:09

But I could be totally wrong too.

In this case, the MAC ends in :fd.

I'm surprised that Meraki has nothing in the documentation on how to determine this information as most ISPs now are locking their router/firewall/modems down to the first MAC they see. Maybe we need a feature request to see this info?
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Just took a look at a couple of devices, an MX100, MX84 and MX64 and they all show that the MAC listed in the local webpage under the Security Appliance details is the LAN MAC. Same with the MAC listed in the dashboard under Security Appliance --> Appliance Status

Also, the WAN1 MAC is one higher than the LAN MAC and the WAN2 MAC is one higher yet. So:

LAN
xx:xx:xx:bf:38:00
WAN 1
xx:xx:xx:bf:38:01
WAN 2
xx:xx:xx:bf:38:02

and

LAN
xx:xx:xx:8e:42:08
WAN1
xx:xx:xx:8e:42:0d

WAN2

xx:xx:xx:8e:42:0e

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels