MX75 / Fan speed / Since Update

EngageTechNZ
Here to help

MX75 / Fan speed / Since Update

Hi All,

(Flame free post please)

Since updating my MX75 to 18.211.2 I have noticed the fan ramps up randomly to quite a high speed, and then back down again. Sometimes for many seconds, other times, just a few. The firewall isnt being taxed at all.

It's only an issue because it's in my lounge - (lets not going into that here :-D)

I am assuming that the "Significant performance improvements" in the "what's new" document is the cause of this?

Would be nice to see CPU usage to match that against fan ramp up - probably a support ticket time.

Anyone else noticed this on their 75? (either in a cabinet or the lounge. 😄 )

24 Replies 24
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to open a support case, they will investigate it.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Likely a software bug but as mentioned open a support ticket for them to investigate. 

Also see if it needs it's annual dusting 😂

Haha - its clean - although the vents on the MX75 are pretty small.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Summary Report  - This network doesn't report anything unusual on the device utilization ?

Good call.

EngageTechNZ_0-1718245294386.png

Seems quite high considering no-one is home during the day.

Seems to have settled down. Odd.

EngageTechNZ_1-1718245491269.png

Ill see what it does tonight, then open a case. (device has been rebooted)

That looks like something that maxed out 1 CPU core, causing it to get hot.

I'll take a punt - software bug.  I suspect if you do nothing a future update will sort it.

Seems like it. It actually started doing it when I took it to 19.1.3 because I like living on the edge, however I don't like living with a fan running that loud, and it's a real high pitch too. Rolled back to the latest stable (18.211.2), and the "problem" followed.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What does your CPU load look like?  As seen above, I've been running 19.1.3 for over 2 weeks.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Funnily enough I have an MX75 at home in my lounge room.
There is something from that general area that spins up its fans for about 2 seconds and dies down again once or twice every afternoon/evening.

I haven't isolated that it is definitely the MX75 (it could be the MS220-8 or the Xbox) but I thought it was worth mentioning as it seems match what you're seeing

Thats the one. The only load on it might be streaming netflix or youtube, which is about the extent of it in the evenings.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My MX75 is in the hallway and I haven't noticed that behaviour, but it is running 19.1.3 and has a very low reported utilisation:

cmr_0-1718270357321.png

As for the MS220-8P, I don't think I've ever heard my one of those make a significant noise, so @Brash I'd be surprised if it was that!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Interestingly, you can see the load drop when I upgraded from 18.107.10 to 19.1.3 late  on 31st May:

cmr_0-1718271125092.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That should be because of the better use of resources/performance upgrade starting from 18.2 and up 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Whats odd is you all have your MX is living areas, come on guys wheres the full network cabinet with structured cabling? We aren't savages 😂

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I had to leave it behind when I moved house, and the wife hasn't let me channel the walls / rip up the floorboards in the new house yet... 😈

It's next to the ONT, which happens to be in the lounge, mounted on the wall. 😞

Utopia is to move it all into a cabinet into the utility room in the house where the washing machine, chest freezer etc are.

That being said, the fan spinning up is different behaviour to previous firmware versions.... Im launching a support ticket.

Unfortunately renting a place with a very humid garage and little to no structured ethernet cabling means all the gear sits in the living room ☹️

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Old house's structured cabling with cabinet door open...

1000010444.jpg

EngageTechNZ
Here to help

Case 11852289 / Will update here once I have some feedback.

EngageTechNZ
Here to help

OK - I clearly missed this in the known Issues list for the "stable" firmware updates

[Known Issues - November 20th Update] Due to an MX 18.2 regression, MX75, MX85, MX95, and MX105 appliances have significantly increased device utilization.

I'm also curious about how ready this version actually is:

• [Known Issues] Due to an issue under investigation, uplink shaping will not limit traffic speeds on MX250, MX450, and MX75 appliances.
  • [Known Issues] Due to an issue under investigation, mandatory DHCP will not function correctly on MX250, MX450, and MX75 appliances.
  • [Known Issues] Due to an issue under investigation, MX250, MX450, and MX75 appliances will not relay DHCP traffic

Not really feeling the Meraki love with firmware updates on this one.

I don't know what firmware version you are reading but these issues were fixed months ago ( MX 18.207 )

MX 18.211.2 is the latest.

*sigh* yeah - you are right. Not sure why that happened. Thanks for correcting me.

However - still doesnt fix my fan and utilisation - still waiting on feedback from support.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels