MX68CW Cellular Setup Issues

AnthonyI
Getting noticed

MX68CW Cellular Setup Issues

Hello,

I'm trying to configure an MX68CW as a backup cellular gateway in case the primary and backup internet connections fail on a HA MX105 pair. I plan on using the USB connection on one of the MX-105's to connect to the MX68CW (functioning as a cellular gateway) as internet failover. Therefore, the MX68CW is configured in Passthrough mode.

I've factory reset the MX68CW prior to configuration and followed the steps outlined in this document under the "Setting up Cellular Failover" section.

The status light on the MX68CW is solid purple, which means it should be working fine on cellular. The attached screenshots confirm that as well.

However, the device is not able to connect to the Meraki cloud over cellular, but only works  when it's connected to the wired connection. Does anyone have any idea why that's the case here?

meraki1.pngmeraki2.png

6 Replies 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried testing the simcard in a known good device? Also in the cellular settings have you setup the correct APN information? This can be found in Security & SD-Wan > Monitor > Appliance Status > Uplink

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 7.55.07 AM.png

Yes I've tested the SIM card on a few other devices (including a MG41E) and data is working fine. I've set the APN to "h2g2" which is what's used for Google Fi. Without that APN, the cellular connection was not working.

Just can't figure out why it can't connect to the Meraki cloud when the cellular connection is working.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How does that work connection a mx68 to a usb port?  Afaik Usb is only for supported usb dongles

AnthonyI
Getting noticed

I haven't tested that portion yet, but my understanding is that the MX105 will fail over to the USB port if both WAN links fail. The idea is that I use that USB port to connect to a USB-to-Ethernet port and connect that to the MX68CW.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

only supported cellular usb dongles should work. It would be easier and cheaper to just plug in one at a mx105 https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Cellular/3G%2F%2F4G_Cellular_Failover_with_USB_Modems#Compatible...

Jim_Liang
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As I remembered, in order to have the USB dongle work, you have to connect the MX68CW WAN port and make it online to the Meraki Dashboard first.

Additionally, there are only listed USB dongles supported for MXs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels