MX68 as Router and Z1 as passthrough L2 Switch

SOLVED
ainfinity
Conversationalist

MX68 as Router and Z1 as passthrough L2 Switch

Hello, 

I upgraded to MX68 and wanted to see if I can  use original Z1 router as just wired switch (Wireless disable) using  passthrough mode. Is this supported. It should work.   Can you guys confirm if this is OK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As already mentioned, this should work. But you need to put them in different dashboard-networks as there is only one appliance per network. I would go for a MS120-8 or if it has to be cheap, for an unmanaged 8-port-switch.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes you can do that. Have a look on the below document 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Passthrough_Mode_on_the_MX_Security_Applian...

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I’m not sure the point of using pass through mode to accomplish this, but you can disable wireless and probably most importantly you want to disable DHCP. Keep in mind you will still need the license for it to operate too. 

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

I want to use the Z1 as a switch in other part of the home.  Where most of my  wired devices exists like : NAS server, Printer etc. MX and Z1 cannot be used as router in same set up. 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As already mentioned, this should work. But you need to put them in different dashboard-networks as there is only one appliance per network. I would go for a MS120-8 or if it has to be cheap, for an unmanaged 8-port-switch.

Thanks. Yes. I plan to put Z1 in another  dashboard network.  This has been helpful. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels