MX67C-WW and Deutsche Telekom (congstar): APN?

SOLVED
klaus_heck
Getting noticed

MX67C-WW and Deutsche Telekom (congstar): APN?

We want to set up an MX67C with a SIM card from Deutsche Telekom (congstar). All APNs, that we can find, come with a username and password, which we cannot add to the config in the MX67C. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It turned out that the LTE interface worked after a while without specifying any APN data. Why this took some time and did not work in the first place, is kind of a mystery. But it works now. Thank you for your help,.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@klaus_heck : Check below 

To set up the cellular failover connection, follow the steps below:

1. Power off the MX. Swapping/installing SIM cards while the MX is powered on may cause unexpected behavior or errors

2. For the MX67C, connect the antennas for cellular reception. Antennae are pre-attached for the MX68CW

3. Open the SIM tray using the SIM card removal tool included in the box

4. Insert a nano SIM card (4FF size) and close the SIM tray

5. Connect the uplink for the MX device via a wired connection to connect to the Meraki cloud

6. Power on the MX and wait for the MX to show as online in the Meraki dashboard

7. Check with the carrier of choice if an APN needs to be configured. If so, do that from the Meraki Dashboard under Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance Status > Uplink tab

8. Navigate to Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance Status > Uplink tab and next to Status, select the edit (pencil) button and then select Enabled. When the cellular uplink is successfully connected, you will be able to see the status on the left hand side of the Appliance Status page and in the Uplink tab. The connection will say Ready when it is successfully connected

9. Test the cellular failover connection by unplugging the wired connection or by using the traceroute tool under Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance Status in the Tools tab

10. If, after following the steps above, the SIM card is not detected, please confirm with your carrier that the SIM card is active and has data. You will need the ICCID of the SIM card and IMEI of the device to get troubleshooting help from the carrier

11. Please contact the Meraki Support team if the cellular connection is still not being recognized after following the steps above

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

Hey Inderdeep,

Thanks for your quick response. I already followed that installation guide. The cellular connection shows "Ready":

klaus_heck_0-1626269064230.png

However, once I disconnect the WAN connection, the router goes offline. I suspect that I need to specify an APN.

The SIM card I use is from Deutsche Telekom (congstar). Their support send me a link to their APNs: https://forum.congstar.de/Tarife/Tarif-Produktberatung/46325-Mobil-surfen-mit-congstar-manuelle-Eins... All of them require a username and password, which I cannot specify:

klaus_heck_1-1626269140961.png

@klaus_heck : I think you need to use the override option for username and password for ASN

https://0x2142.com/meraki-mg-setting-up-merakis-new-lte-gateway/

Inderdeep_0-1626269922973.png

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

The link you sent only applies to MG devices. The MX67C does not allow a cellular override.

It turned out that the LTE interface worked after a while without specifying any APN data. Why this took some time and did not work in the first place, is kind of a mystery. But it works now. Thank you for your help,.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels