MX67C - Integrated Cellular not connecting

Tobias_Kuhnert
Here to help

MX67C - Integrated Cellular not connecting

hi guys,

we're currently have issues with some MX67C devices and the integrated cellular.

I insert the SIM card (no PIN required), power up the MX, enable the integrated cellular, but nothing is happening.

We already did a lot of tests... like using different SIM cards, configuring the APN, and others... but for now it looks like that it is related to the devices itself.

This is the output of the "Uplink" tab:

cell status.png

I can't see anything in the eventlog either.

Did someone experience similar issues with the integrated cellular modems of the MXs so far?

Thanks

Best regards
Tobi

20 REPLIES 20
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

only on some mx devices? the mx is already online using a wan port? running latest firmware?

yes, there are models, which are working and some are not.

We already cross-swapped the SIM cards, but that's not helping. So i tend to say there are some MXs, which have an issue with the cellular connections...

Yes, they did have an active WAN port.

lateste stable and beta firmware was tested. same result.

The cellular will not kick in unless the Internet port is not active.

However I see the following when I look at my MX68CW's

meraki cellular.PNG

Cellular says ready. But as mentioned, it will never be active unless the Internet cable is disconnected - which is an issue if you see my post

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/MX68CW-Cellular-doesn-t-work-if-Internet-port-is-act...

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

1 - MX needs to be connected via WAN port 1st to get firmware updates.

2 - WAN can't be plugged in otherwise cellular won't be active

Hope that helps!

@SoCalRacer wrote:

1 - MX needs to be connected via WAN port 1st to get firmware updates.

2 - WAN can't be plugged in otherwise cellular won't be active

Hope that helps!

1. ok... i know, but firmware upgrades are not the problem

2. i know that LTE is only backup, but we're not even getting there yet, because the device is not even trying to connect to the cellular network.

if i unplug the WAN, the MX is simply offline

Have you verified cellular coverage in the physical are the MX is located in?

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Have you verified cellular coverage in the physical are the MX is located in?

yes - i have a LTE connection with multiple smartphones and my notebooks cellular on site.

To summarize:

You have some MX67C working and some not working with the same provider SIMs

You know you have LTE coverage where the MX is

You don't have this issue with any MX68CW

Questions:

Are these recently deployed?

Have you checked the config log to see if anything stands out or is different from the working ones?

Is a factory reset an option on a test 67C?

Ben
A model citizen

Which carrier are u using?

@Ben wrote:

Which carrier are u using?

Mainly Telekom, but we also tried with O2/Telefonica

btw. we're talking about a deployment in Germany

It almost sounds like you have the North American model and not the Worldwide model.

Another thing to test would be a usb modem with that sim plugged into the MX67C

We ordered the WW model and also dashboard tells me it's a MX67C-WW.

However, it really looks like this is something, which can only be resolved by meraki support. i was just curious if somebody else experienced any issues with the integrated cellular too.

We are having the same issue on 1 of our MX67c-NA trying to connect to Verizon.  Have setup several of these so far without a problem.  verfied a strong cell coverage standing right next to MX.

Telefonica is listed, so if your sim pin is deleted it should connect.

Under "Cellular Interface" supported carriers are listed.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Overviews_and_Specifications/MX67_and_MX68_Overview_and_Speci...

we had the same issue with just Verizon.  had to upgrade to 14.53 firmware and enter the correct APN on the dashboard.

Sounds like you should log a case.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you succeed finally? I had a similar experience today (same provider). LTE came up only after powering off the MX completely and is running fine since then.

emarosi
Comes here often

I have a similar issue too.

MX67C cellular is not connecting even with correct APN and signal is full strength.

When WAN connection is removed the device goes offline. 

LED is orange

I am having similar issues with my MX68CW but only when I have the ISP (Verizon) enable the Static IP.  If I have Static IP disabled, it actually connects fine with no issues but i am then limited to just internet connection and cannot Client VPN.  I also have the correct APN and still no luck. 

Check to make sure the carrier has Static IP disabled for that specific SIM, and see if it would connect then..

I just realized there was a firmware update on my MX68CW and just had it upgraded to 15.27 and seems to have fixed my issue.. maybe take a look and see if there are any new beta firmware you can try upgrading to.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels