MX65/W Powered via PoE

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

MX65/W Powered via PoE

So @NFL0NR found out something very random this morning: a number of our MX devices were able to be powered via PoE from our Meraki Switch.

When plugged into the PoE port (11/12) on the MX device from the PoE on the switch, the MX powered on. We had an Internet uplink in Port 1 and the device was able to completely boot up, grab its config, and be a functioning device in our organization. Not seeing anywhere in the documentation where this was a feature, but we testing it on a number of our devices.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
15 REPLIES 15
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Mr_IT_Guy I have never seen anything like this. Is it MX or MR? If it is MX, Did you double check the power cable is unplugged from the MX?

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

You're absolutely right. I just tested it and it works here too: my MX68CW can be powered by the PoE ports on my MS220-8P, the WAN ports don't support PoE though so in my case I had to connect two cables to the same switch, one for the power and one for the data.

The MX68CW is reported as a 802.3af device:

PoE usage11.7 W AF (Advertised 16 W AF)

Undocumented feature I guess!

@Raj66 , it's a MX65W. We made sure that power cable was unplugged. @NFL0NR  can verify!

MX65W with no Power. Notice link light activity on Port 11MX65W with no Power. Notice link light activity on Port 11MX65.jpg

@Mr_IT_Guy @BrechtSchamp @NFL0NR 

Agreed guys, I did further digging regarding this and apparently, this is a thing. So, the MXs are not primarily designed to work on PoE but they do work on PoE. This is the expected behavior, while this works, it is not an officially supported architecture. 

@Mr_IT_Guy Nice discovery 🙂

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

@NFL0NR  deserves all the credit.

Mountain Dew! A must for IT people

Diet...  I'm trying to watch my girlish figure 😉  (no offense ladies)

NFL0NR
Getting noticed

@Raj66    Should this work off ANY PoE devices or only Meraki Switches?  We tried an HP PoE and it didn't work..  thus the reason for the question.

Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@NFL0NR Does the HP switch support 802.3at (poe+)? It "might (I am so tempted to say should here)" work with any device which supports 802.3at. 

NFL0NR
Getting noticed

I'm sure.  It's sitting on my desk.  And I discovered it by unplugging the power cord.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Oh, I'm trying this on my CMNA kit as soon as I get home.

I am genuinely scared of telling my coworkers for fear that the non-networkers will... try... things... that we don't want them to do, when they're on client sites.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

OMG.  I would give you more kudos if I could.

dalmiroy2k
Getting noticed

I'm gonna try the same with MX64 and post results. It would be great as it would spare one power outlet from my overcrowded UPS.

EDITED: No luck with MX64 so far  😞

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

2 years later.. im like,  does this thing has a accu

so.. mx68w can also do this.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

just saw this discussion, sadly I had no luck with my MX68 and also not with the Z3 ... 😞

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels