MX64W SSID Issues

Solved
Newbie101
New here

MX64W SSID Issues

Hi Guys,

We have recently installed an MX64W in one of our smaller offices.

The issue we are having is that the wireless on the MX64W is not inheriting the SSID's from the rest of the Meraki Estate. The SSID's appear to be configured in Wireless > SSID's. This office network only provides the Security & SD-WAN tab on the left hand side. We can configure Wireless SSID's in Configure > Wireless Settings however, this does not connect devices from the other offices automatically unlike the rest of the estate.

The other offices all have MR33's installed which does provide a wireless tab. Is this the issue as Meraki has nowhere to push the SSID config?

Any feedback would be great,

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
Borisorism
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for you: this is expected behaviour.

MX will not inherit wireless configuration from the configuration set up under "wireless". It will be a completely separate wireless network.

The MX with wireless is meant as one box solution for very small deployments, where no APs are used. Deployment where you are using both the wireless from the MX and wireless from the APs is not a supported deployment.

You can do it of course, but you will be running two separate wireless networks with no option for client roaming.

You can find info on how to configure the MX wireless here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Wireless/MX_and_Z-Series_Wireless_Settings

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Borisorism
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for you: this is expected behaviour.

MX will not inherit wireless configuration from the configuration set up under "wireless". It will be a completely separate wireless network.

The MX with wireless is meant as one box solution for very small deployments, where no APs are used. Deployment where you are using both the wireless from the MX and wireless from the APs is not a supported deployment.

You can do it of course, but you will be running two separate wireless networks with no option for client roaming.

You can find info on how to configure the MX wireless here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Wireless/MX_and_Z-Series_Wireless_Settings

Thanks for coming back to me Borisorism 🙂

I thought as much but was hoping there was some sort of way through group policy for network-wide.

In this case, would we be able to disable the wireless on the MX64W and connect an MR33 to inherit the wireless? I am not sure if the ports provide POE though to power the AP.

lkajcsu01
Here to help

You can try the following:

Set up with all your wireless deployment ( MXw and the rest of the Meraki Estate ) with:

Exact same SSID / Exact same password 

With this you can achieve some kind of " manual roaming effect", but its not guarantee your end-points will be disconnected when they shifting from one AP to another or the MXw.

The MXw is only a "one-stop solution" , not designed for client roaming. 

Thanks for coming back to me lkajcsu01 🙂

Unfortunately, this is something I have tried already. The devices still see them as two separate networks.

MX64W doesn't have PoE, MX65W does.

Just disable all the SSID's in Security & SD-WAN > Wireless Settings

Thanks Brecht 🙂

By Disabling the SSID's on the box, will the MX64W inherit the SSID setup?

You're welcome.

No, as @Borisorism said. The SSIDs defined in MX's are completely separate from the SSIDs configured on the MR.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels