MX64 hard limit 250Mbps

Meraki_user1
Conversationalist

MX64 hard limit 250Mbps

Our branch has an option of upgrading our exiting internet from 150Mbps to 600Mbps for the same price.  Is there any way we can get past the hard limit of 250Mbps?  We can't afford the Advance license on the MX100.  The branch only has 10 people in it.

Thank you

Nelson M

7 REPLIES 7
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The box isn't physically capable of much more, even if you turn of all the Advanced Security features. It certainly will never get to 600.

A better question is will you ever use that? If you only have 10 people, and you don't hit 150 today, then worrying about 600 is not worth your time.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

@Meraki_user1 wrote:

Our branch has an option of upgrading our exiting internet from 150Mbps to 600Mbps for the same price.  Is there any way we can get past the hard limit of 250Mbps?  We can't afford the Advance license on the MX100.  The branch only has 10 people in it.

Thank you

Nelson M

I have been wanting to test this myself, but I have yet had the opportunity.

The MX64 has two WAN uplinks, where WAN 2 is shared with a LAN port. Accessing the Local Status Page, you can configure LAN1 (or is it 4?) as a WAN uplink. 

Assuming you have an available IP address, you can assign it to the other WAN, and thus have 2 WAN links with 250 Mbps each. 

You won't be able to download with higher speeds than 250 Mbps (bundle them together), but you can loadbalance, so that your WAN link won't be throttled due to traffic.

Basically, you would have two equal sized water pipes, instead of one, with the same amount of water going through..

Like I said, I have yet to test it out.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@rhbirkelund the MX64's specs are irrespective of how man WAN interfaces are active. You can't magically double the devices capacity by enabling WAN2.

Nice try though 😉

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva wrote:

@rhbirkelund the MX64's specs are irrespective of how man WAN interfaces are active. You can't magically double the devices capacity by enabling WAN2.

Nice try though 😉

Again, as I said, I have yet to try it out. 😉

But I'm not saying you'd be able to download with 500 Mbps, it enabling WAN2.

I'm hypothesizing that traffic will be load balanced on the two links, so traffic won't be congested. So instead of 10 users sharing one 250 Mbps uplink, you'd in theory have 10 users sharing each 250 Mbps uplink.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@rhbirkelund All you're doing is moving the bottleneck from the Internet service to the MX. The capacity of the Internet services becomes irrelevant as the MX cannot process that much throughput. You end up with 10 users sharing the capacity of the MX, and not sharing the capacity of each internet service. 

The limit of the MX is the amount of data it can process through it. You can get more by turning off things like content filtering, but that is just incremental performance gain. It's like a 1ton truck, it can only pull so much weight, by adding another hitch and connecting a second trailer doesn't mean you are going to be able more weight with the truck.

The MX64 is software limited to 250Mb/s.  It wont go past that.  The software wont allow it.

Consider getting an MX67.  It is software limited to 450Mb/s.  Paying the extra to go from 450Mb/s to 600Mb/s would mean going from an MX67 to an MX100 - and it's probably not worth the money.

We use an MX67 in our office and it works great.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels