MX64 and Vonage (not compatible accoding to Vonage)

SOLVED
macfaqulty
Here to help

MX64 and Vonage (not compatible accoding to Vonage)

I recently migrated a small office from a TZ200 to an MX64. First of all, this unit is amazing. However, after a few weeks my clients are noticing issues with the Vonage service. After an extended phone call, 30 mins or so, the call will drop and they have to call back. I just spoke with Vonage and they said the only router they support is the MX60. The rep was not very friendly, nor willing to even try to get troubleshoot. Can you even buy an MX60 anymore? I did my research and I was damn sure the MX64 was compatible. 

The network is setup with the phones on their own VLAN.

Has anyone figured out a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Found the solution. After weeks of not hearing from Vonage I complained of their lackluster service on Twitter and got a head tech manager to call me. He logged in and found that the Meraki was setup exactly as it needed to be and that the problem was the Polycom VX310 phones. Basically, don't rely on DHCP on those phones and type in DNS manually as well. Once we did this the phones acted correctly. Really strange issue.

Also, three Vonage techs told me I was wrong and that the MX64 was not compatible. They are misinformed. Their site says MX60 is compatible when it should say MX6x - meaning MX61, MX62, MX63, MX64. The head Vonage tech laughed his ass off when he heard this. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I have multiple clients using MX devices, with Vonage, without issues.  I'm pretty sure the MX60 is an old model device so sounds like the support reps knowledge is out of date. You may want to try to call them back and talk to someone that is having a better day.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

haha. Yeah, I talked to 3 reps. The last one laughed at me when I asked if she could get me in contact with an engineer. They are adamant about the MX64 not working at all. 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Is it the vonage box or just vonage desk phones?

Desk phones. they had a TZ200 and unmanaged switch before and had no issues.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

You could try 1:1 NAT a phone to basically eliminate the MX as a variable and see if it makes a difference.  

I've never setup 1:1 NAT. So now I just tried the following. 

http://www.macfaqulty.com/filechute/Firewall_Configuration_-_Meraki_Dashboard.png

I've inputed the IP of the WAN, but when I click "save" it tells me...

There were errors in saving this configuration:

• 55.66.77.88 (not real IP obviously) is the primary IP address of Internet port 1 and cannot be forwarded.

Hmmm... not sure why this doesn't work.

Vonage's page indicates that the following should be disabled:

1.SIP ALG and/or SIP Transformations

2.VoIP-specific Functions (see #1)

3. SPI or DoS protection (disable or allow more connections)

I also found this page  where the person wanted to change the UDP Timeout value, but you can't on the MX64. Suggestions wouldn't work for Vonage. I really think the solution is to ditch Vonage. lol

-

Found the solution. After weeks of not hearing from Vonage I complained of their lackluster service on Twitter and got a head tech manager to call me. He logged in and found that the Meraki was setup exactly as it needed to be and that the problem was the Polycom VX310 phones. Basically, don't rely on DHCP on those phones and type in DNS manually as well. Once we did this the phones acted correctly. Really strange issue.

Also, three Vonage techs told me I was wrong and that the MX64 was not compatible. They are misinformed. Their site says MX60 is compatible when it should say MX6x - meaning MX61, MX62, MX63, MX64. The head Vonage tech laughed his ass off when he heard this. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels