MX SD-WAN Requirements

SOLVED
Homerdan
Conversationalist

MX SD-WAN Requirements

Hi,

I have just replaced our office firewalls with 2 x MX64 with Advanced Features and everything. We have 2 ISP lines coming in and I 'd like to configure SD-WAN. We don't have any other Meraki firewalls anywhere but 3 different data center locations with Sonicwalls with sit2site VPN tunnels

Does anyone know if I can utilize SD-WAN in this scenario?

Doesn't Meraki support SD-WAN on it's own?

Do I really need other Meraki firewalls in remote locations to use this feature?

I thought that if you have 2 ISP lines and if one of them is having lets say jitter or latency issues then Meraki switches your voip or any specified traffic over to the other line with less latency.

I would appreciate if anybody can shed some light here. I called support already but all got was bunch of info and documentation which didn't make any sense.

Thank you in advance,

MS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Homerdan,

Yes, you need Meraki at all locations you wish to deploy SD-WAN at. That is the same for every vendor's SD-WAN product out there. Not a single one has any interoperability with another. 

If you place both MX64's at one location then all you can leverage is Warm Spare and failover between ISPs,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Homerdan,

Yes, you need Meraki at all locations you wish to deploy SD-WAN at. That is the same for every vendor's SD-WAN product out there. Not a single one has any interoperability with another. 

If you place both MX64's at one location then all you can leverage is Warm Spare and failover between ISPs,

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels