MX64 Warm Spare configuration

Dave443
Conversationalist

MX64 Warm Spare configuration

Hello,

I am in the process of trying to setup a Meraki MX64 warm spare.. Here are the issues I am faced with

This is in a larger office building, There are 2 ISPs being used a Primary and Secondary WAN, ISP A is Fiber and they just ran a ethernet handoff to the server room. ISP B is the Cable provider and there is a modem with Multiple Ethernet ports on it.

I previously have attempted to set this up as follows

ISP A     Only has the ethernet handoff so I obtained a Dumb switch basically to act as a Hub, the connection for ISP A goes into the switch and then out to the 2 Meraki's

ISP B Has multple ports on the device and I have a Ethernet from Each to each Meraki

Port 1 on each device is then connected to the LAN Switch.

This works, however, once the this is in place the overall bandwidth for the network slow to basically a crawl as far as speed goes? Where am I going wrong?

2 Replies 2
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are your MXs configured for HA and running VRRP between the two?

Have you tested each WAN/ISP connection separately to rule out an upstream issue with each.

And finally are you load balancing over each WAN connection or using WAN 1 as primary and WAN 2 as secondary 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Couple of thoughts.

1. The MX64 will only do 200Mbps if you’ve got all the threat protection switched on - although I wouldn’t call that a crawl.
  2. Will your ISP A (fibre) provide you with multiple IP addresses? Maybe they only allow a single address and it is jumping between the HA MXs. Both MXs need to have IP addresses (and you have an option to have a third, VIP, if you want to).
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels