MX100 Internet speed slow?

SOLVED
dhayes2929
Here to help

MX100 Internet speed slow?

Hello All. 

This summer we installed a MX100 firewall.  At the time we only had the enterprise license and not the Advanced license.  We had an old Barracuda 310 webfilter in place.  Well we recently upgraded to a spectrum 200Mps/20Mps pipe and if we plug directly into the Spectrum modem the speeds are right where they are supposed to be.  However on the network they are still a little bit over 100Mps down and they should be 200Mps down.  So we assumed that the barracuda might be to blame because it is only rated at 100Mps throughput.  So we upgraded to the Advanced license on the MX (we were going to do this anyway) and removed the cuda.  And, the network throughput is still only a bit over 100Mps down. 

Now I know that the MX100 is doing a lot but is it possible that this higher end firewall can not support speeds over 100Mps?

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dylan_YYC
Getting noticed

Strange! did you/someone ever setup traffic shaping? under security appliance -> traffic shaping you can check. we have 200mbps symmetrical and i we have no issues getting that full speed with 1500 clients connected to our network. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dylan_YYC
Getting noticed

Strange! did you/someone ever setup traffic shaping? under security appliance -> traffic shaping you can check. we have 200mbps symmetrical and i we have no issues getting that full speed with 1500 clients connected to our network. 

Thank you for the fast response  I know I have not done any traffic shaping on the unit at all. I am glad to see you are getting great speeds so it is possible. 

I will check into the traffic shaping settings to see what can be tweaked. But nothing was setup out of the box. 

Many thanks 

No worries, if that isn't the case, then id check things like DNS, if that checks out then maybe you've got a bad link somewhere limiting you to 100mbps. 

Have fun! 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The smallest MX64 can do 200/200 so your box is definitely capable.

How are you measuring the speed?
JeenChew
Here to help

Hi Dave,

Try setting the shaping to 200mbps and see if that helps. Some modem expects the router to do the shaping or else packet will be dropped. When doing a throughput test from the LAN, that device might try to generate more than 200mbps and when the modem is only capable of 200mbps will start dropping packets causing the overall throughput to drop. Might not be exactly you situation but wroth trying.

Dudleydogg
A model citizen

I also have MX100, we upgraded to 1GB Fiber, for over a month I was receiving 850x850 ish speeds. All the Sudden we are only getting 350x350 speeds now. If I disable AMP I can get the full speed again. Just wondering what has changed with AMP that all the sudden the Router cannot manage anything over 350mbs, has anyone else seen issue like t his?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels