MG21 with MX68 connection layout

francktls
Getting noticed

MG21 with MX68 connection layout

Hello,

I have to perform a PoC with a customer next month. Presales ordered MG21 cellular gateway and a MX68 to secure and backup local internet access.

But they ordered only power supply for the MX68.

So I did something to power up the MG21, I use the PoE port 11 on the MX68 to port LAN1 of the MG21. Then I use the 2nd LAN port of the MG to connect the Internet 2Image 29-07-2020 à 12.28.18AM.jpeg interface of the MX68.

It looks like it's working but I think I would prefer a dedicated PSU for the MG. What do you think about that ?

3 REPLIES 3
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

That's actually how my MG at home is configured. Works fine, albeit Vodafone 4G in London isn't great so I only get about 5Mbps. Saves using an extra wall socket!
Jeizzen
Getting noticed

For this to work, did you need to create a new vlan that includes port Internet 2 and port 11 ?

Because I think what one of my colleague did once was (with an MS in the setup) :

1 switchport to MG21 poe port

1 switchport to Internet 2 (so Internet 2 not connected directly to MG21)

Those 2 switchports in same vlan

Hi @Jeizzen 

On my config, all ports of MX68 are in same VLAN (Vlan 101 with subnet (Something like 10.10.10.0/24). On MG21, there is another subnet (172.25.25.0/24) with DHCP server. Only Internet 2 is getting an IP on that subnet.

Not sure I properly answered 😊

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels