License of 84 on 85

Solved
Abechara
Here to help

License of 84 on 85

i have an MX84 with license, for the moment i need to buy MX 85 in the new store there is no MX 84, and configure it as warm spare for the MX 84 . the license of MX 84 work on MX 85 in case of failover?

1 Accepted Solution

If you don't have another MX84, the solution is to buy two new MXes of the same model.
Otherwise you can leave an MX provisioned and replace the hardware manually in case of failure.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, you cannot configure Warm spare as different MX models.

For warm spare you do not need an additional license, just one license.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

what is the solution as we cannot buy MX 84 anymore

If you don't have another MX84, the solution is to buy two new MXes of the same model.
Otherwise you can leave an MX provisioned and replace the hardware manually in case of failure.

alemabrahao_1-1712929214386.png

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

Thank you very much,  

my question is : 84 and 85 are not same family ?

No, it's not. It's a different model.

To explain it: Requirement for Warm Spare is the same model, not the same family.

I do not know any definition of family in this context. MX84 and 85 are different generations. MX85 is the successor of MX84: https://documentation.meraki.com/@api/deki/files/15599/MX84_EOS_Notice.pdf?revision=1

Mloraditch
Building a reputation

FYI  as long as you are co-term you can convert your MX84 license to MX85 (and similarly for other related models).
So you can have cold spare 85 and do the license change when you have to swap or you can just get two 85s w/o needing a new license

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

The question is, will they only convert the license because of RMA on MX84, or will they also convert the license if I just buy a new MX85 and replace my old MX84 ? (The text on that link seems a bit unclear on this, seems it is only for RMA)

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It definitely works on an RMA, I had a 65 replaced by a 68 and the license was converted, but it did take several emails to the Meraki licensing team as support couldn't do it themselves...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels