LTE as Primary WAN uplink

SOLVED
Johann
Getting noticed

LTE as Primary WAN uplink

Hi, I have setup a MX68W in my HQ and want to deploy a MX68CW with LTE as the primary WAN uplink on a remote site using AutoVPN. When testing at HQ the LTE as primary works fine as does the AutoVPN, until I reboot the device, then the device doesn't connect again to the cloud, until I connect a LAN cable, after the Meraki connects I can disconnect the LAN cable and work on LTE again. Is this by design? My remote site does not have access to a LAN, hence the need for LTE only. Any help/advice appertained.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Julian
Getting noticed

It's not normal, I have some offices with that configuration and are working it well. The first time to register to the dashboard you need to connect the network cable, one time is registered is not necessary more and is possible to restart it.

Regards

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thx, I'll look at that
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does it start working when something associates to the WiFi?

I don't think that is normal.

No, it doesn't come up again
Roska
A model citizen

Which FW are you on and which carrier are you using, apparently your carrier settings are fine and stay the same when trying to re establish the connection on LTE? I´d say that its by design as Meraki MX:s with cellular tend to think that lte is only for backup not primary. Seen this happen a lot back in 2018 when cellular models where introduced - firmware updates fixed some of the issues out there back in early 2019.

MT
Here to help

That doesn't sound normal..

In my experience with the Z series anyway, the cell only connection should come up on its own after a reboot after you've introducted the LAN connection the first time when configuring.  I think that first configuration using LAN, then hooking up the Cell...sort of "training wheels" as it were.  This is even suggested as best practice in the Meraki notes for many of the cell modem connections.  

We run many devices cell only for the same reasons you do, and I always try and set them up using that training wheels method.  Mostly it has been a success...however, newer modems have proved flaky, at least with our Verizon coverage.  We have to resort to buying old versions of the USB modems from Amazon and such in a pinch.  

Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Johann This should not be expected behavior. If the MX68W is not coming online after the reboot, Please bring it online using the WAN cable just like as you are doing and give Meraki support a call. There would some internal logs that support can check to figure why the device was not coming online over LTE. Based on that you can isolate the issue and troubleshoot in that direction.

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
Johann
Getting noticed

Thx Raj, I did contact support and they are looking into it.
Julian
Getting noticed

It's not normal, I have some offices with that configuration and are working it well. The first time to register to the dashboard you need to connect the network cable, one time is registered is not necessary more and is possible to restart it.

Regards

Johann
Getting noticed

Hi Julian,

There where two things which support helped me with, I had to make sure my custom APN was correct and then I had to ensure that the new config had sync'ed before I pulled the lan cable, after that it worked on LTE after a reboot.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels