LTE USB modem as a backup

SOLVED
peto
Getting noticed

LTE USB modem as a backup

Hi,

I would like to use LTE USB modem as a backup solution. Is it possible to have the cellular link offline (no communication toward the dashboard) when the primary connection is up and running so it doesn't consume the data plan of the SIM?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bmehta
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello,
For Cellular to report as a backup on the dashboard it would need some amount of data to be sent to the dashboard. There is no offline mode I would say. However, the amount of data used for cellular as a backup is not very high.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I typically allow for the cellular modem to use 100MB of data per month.

the thing is that the carrier offers Internet for a day - 10GB for 1€. So when the primary line is up no traffic cannot be seen on cellular link 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also the cellular link does stay offline most of the time when it is not in use, but I would still allow for 100MB of traffic.

bmehta
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello,
For Cellular to report as a backup on the dashboard it would need some amount of data to be sent to the dashboard. There is no offline mode I would say. However, the amount of data used for cellular as a backup is not very high.

peto
Getting noticed

OK, thank you.

And how about this solution. I have a raspberry pi connected to the LAN. Let's say I configure some test probe on it and when it fails, the raspberry sends some API message directly to MX. Is it supported? Or API is dashboard only.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>the raspberry sends some API message directly to MX. Is it supported? Or API is dashboard only.

Dashboard only.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels