Is MX is mandatory to use MR AP

Naresh_Bhardwaj
Getting noticed

Is MX is mandatory to use MR AP

Hi All,

Want to replace currently running Cisco Air CAP AP's using WLC with Meraki MR wireless.

We have Cisco ASA ,Core and access switch's in the environment. Is it possible to just replace the AIR CAP AP's with Meraki MR AP's and allow the IP address and ports as per the Meraki guidelines on the Cisco ASA and communication with get established between MR AP's to the Meraki dashboard and after that we can monitor and configure Merika MR AP.

Or we need to replace the Cisco ASA firewall with MX to get the communication with Meraki dashboard and Cisco Switch's with the Meraki MR.

Thanks in advance !

3 Replies 3
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't need an MX for that, just allow your MRs to talk to Meraki Dashboard.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I’ll put my sales hats and say you need to replace the ASA for an MX as well 😁

Nah, as @CptnCrnch says, just replace the APs and allow the MRs out to the cloud

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

As @CptnCrnch and @DarrenOC said, this should all work fine. I’ve had a good number of customers who run just MRs with Cisco Catalyst switches, and various firewall vendors.

The main thing I’ve found that you can’t do with a MR alone is something akin to a guest anchor. You can configure a guest VLAN easily and use that, but if you’re looking for something like a Cisco guest anchor setup where traffic is tunnelled to a DMZ then you’ll need an MX (in the DMZ) to achieve this.

Personal opinion is that in most cases tunnelling guest traffic is overkill and not required, so you don’t need the MX. But I have had customers who require that extra level of separation between their corporate and guest networks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels