Incorrect IP for Secondary WAN Link in Meraki Device

SOLVED
AshwiniY1628
Conversationalist

Incorrect IP for Secondary WAN Link in Meraki Device

Hello,

I am new to the Meraki technology I have just started working with the Meraki network in my current job, and I have seen for some of the sites in Dashboard they have configured 2.2.2.2 as Secondary WAN IP with Gateway 2.2.2.1

I m very much confused why we have 2.2.2.2 IP configured also it has 166.140.x.x Public Ip assigned for WAN2

Snaps are attached as below... Please ack if anybody is aware of this content 

AshwiniY1628_1-1594146906033.png

AshwiniY1628_0-1594146749088.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not in your device. Your provider does it in his network

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

166.140 is the ip meraki dashboard is receiving data from. 

2.2.2.2 is you private (or public) real local interface adres,  in this case its doing  nat somewhere. 

AshwiniY1628
Conversationalist

There's no Nat configured... checked in Security & SDWAN >> Configure >> Firewall

AshwiniY1628_0-1594148953869.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not in your device. Your provider does it in his network

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, but its also not a problem or is it?

Your provider next hop is 2.2.x.x. you have to ask your wan2  provider for details.

They maybe use this kind of ip to save public ip space.  Or  they want to avoid  the possibility that your mx wan2  uplink  is in the same range as one of you private range lan subnets.

Your wan1 has a real public routable ip. Thats why the local (uplink)interface and wan1 shows the same ip

@ww As such i dont see any issue, however this difference in IPs are forcing me to think on it.

Anyways, thanks for your time. I will connect again if i have doubt. Need to dig in a bit more.

AshwiniY1628
Conversationalist

@ww

Many thanks for sharing the information. I very much appreciate your help.

@ww 

Can you please elaborate the first line of ur first reply?

This IP 166.X.X.X has to be there on WAN interface or not? How we can identify the same ? If at all i trace to this 166.140 IP , the trace is even going beyond the google DNS IP.

Why the same thing is not happening with the WAN1? WAN1 is taking and showing the right IP.

Is there any way that via template we can push the WAN IP config also? because the network on which i am working currently (post owner and me are from same team),  i am seeing multiple locations where this 2.2.2.x IP is configured.

Thanks in advance.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels