How would you troubleshoot high non wifi interference?

pcrequest
Here to help

How would you troubleshoot high non wifi interference?

pcrequest_0-1661281282891.png

I support them remotely.  Are we hunting for cordless phones etc?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

If you can get someone out there with a spectrum analyzer such as Ekahau sidekick with software it can triangulate to help locate things, but yes you are looking for all kinds of things in 2.4GHz like microwave ovens, bluetooth, wireless door bells, cameras, and many others.  This will give you some clues of what to look for: https://www.ekahau.com/blog/identifying-wi-fi-interference-with-ekahau-analyzer/

Good luck.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ekahau doesn't triangulate but if you walk the site it will plot the location where the interference was the strongest.
That is to say that this non wifi interference could just be bleed over signal from an adjacent channel that the Meraki AP does not decode as a wireless frame.  So basically too many 2.4 GHz WiFi in that area causing excessive bleedthrough of the spectral mask into the adjacent channels.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can we start a pool?

My first guess is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone.

If it is intermittent and mostly happens around break times - my second guess is a leaking microwave oven.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yeah let's do it.  I'm keeping to my stance that there is too much wifi on 2.4 also causing bleedover to adjacent channels.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Buggy fluorescent tubes whould also be good guesses.

So are DECT phones, and PIR sensors.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
pcrequest
Here to help

I'll keep you all updated, but it is a low priority now, and I'm supporting low-tech people remotely, so I may not get to the bottom of this anytime soon.  Thanks for the replies!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels