How to test the Dynamic Path Selection

SOLVED
suneq
Getting noticed

How to test the Dynamic Path Selection

Hi guys,

How do you prove to your client that Dynamic Path Selection works please? For example, let's say we have a simple rule saying that Citrix traffic should prefer the WAN 1 path and if the latency is higher than 200ms, switch to WAN 2.

What we should do to show that the rule works properly? My client insists for a proof  / demo. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Tough one to prove conclusively unless you can inject latency into one of the links.

That said, the page you need is:

Security & SD-WAN -> VPN Status, which shows the link being chosen for each flow - whether its the primary link, the only link, or its being chosen on basis of performance.

Then click on one of the peers on this table (which is on the above page):

Bruce_0-1632986451172.png

And it will take you two a page showing all the latency, jitter and loss metrics for the links to/from that site. This should show that the MX is monitoring the links. As I said, causing a failover needs you to then be able to introduce latency, and then you can show that the chosen link changes from the VPN Status page.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Connect wan1 with a lte modem

Wan 2 with the faster internet.

Look up the latency at the mx uplink page

Make the sdwan rules based on that latency

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Tough one to prove conclusively unless you can inject latency into one of the links.

That said, the page you need is:

Security & SD-WAN -> VPN Status, which shows the link being chosen for each flow - whether its the primary link, the only link, or its being chosen on basis of performance.

Then click on one of the peers on this table (which is on the above page):

Bruce_0-1632986451172.png

And it will take you two a page showing all the latency, jitter and loss metrics for the links to/from that site. This should show that the MX is monitoring the links. As I said, causing a failover needs you to then be able to introduce latency, and then you can show that the chosen link changes from the VPN Status page.

xaviervalette
Here to help

Hi @suneq,

I know that the topic is pretty old, but I anyone still need to show the Dynamic Path Selection in action, you can use NetEm (Network Emulation),

It is basically a tool (on Linux) that emulate real WAN link on a simple local link, by adding delays, loss, jitter. If you want a very effective and inexpensive dedicated solution, you can use a Raspberry PI, where you bridge two interfaces together (the Raspberry becomes transparent from a networking perspective), and then you tune the parameters to emulate the WAN failure/issue.

Hope it helps! 🙂

Xavier VALETTE
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels