How to test if an ISP at some location is Meraki capable

joopv
Getting noticed

How to test if an ISP at some location is Meraki capable

We have remote locations where there is a doubt if Meraki cloud-managed equipment is going to work correctly, because of possible port filtering at the ISP router or backbone.  Especially UDP port 9350 

Right now we have Cisco 800 routers at these locations (and some more equipment like a smallbusiness switch).  The locations will be migrated to MX routers.

Is it possible to test somehow beforehand if a Meraki MX device will be usable?

How can i test UDP 9350 connectivity to the Meraki cloud , from a Cisco 880 series router?

4 Replies 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Well the Meraki servers don't seem to be responding to random UDP datagrams. So you can't test that way.

What you could do is setup your own UDP echo server that listens to UDP datagrams on port 9350. Then you'd need to find a way to get the router to send a datagram to your server and see if it manages to get to your server and if the response arrives too. I doubt that you can do that on Cisco routers. Another option is to have a client behind the router send a datagram.

That way at least you'll know if the ISP blocks datagrams to UDP 9350 to all IP addresses, as it's unlikely they would single out Meraki's IP addresses.

Don't forget you can always trial Meraki equipment if that's your worry.

Thanks,

I will do some testing, between the cisco 800 at location:

ip sla 1234

udp-echo x.x.x.x 9350 source-ip y.y.y.y

ip sla schedule 1234 life forever start-time now

and at the x.x.x.x have a pc with wireshark, or another cisco router with an ip sla responder

It's a bit cumbersome.  No tool available ?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Not any that I know.

I would ask your Cisco reseller for a free trial to be sent to one of the sites.  If it works you can just pay for it and keep it.  It seems very unlikely for an ISP to be blocking Meraki.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels