How many VLANs can you create on a MX ?

thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

How many VLANs can you create on a MX ?

I cant quite seem to find the numbers any where.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

Thomas

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

I have a recollection you can create up to 128 VLAN interfaces (GUI restriction).  The VLANs can range from 1 to 4094.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

If you're worried about more than a couple of vlans on a firewall, I strongly recommend putting in an actual layer 3 switch to handle your routing needs. I understand idle curiosity, but this question sounds like the lead-in to a design choice you'll regret.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Nash makes a point. It's good to have a "core" switch to handle vlans and also a little routing.

Enthusiast

Well right now I do have a couple of MS4xx in there. And there is a nice datasheet for them thats says 256 SVIs pr. switch. Just wondering if the MX scales to the same level.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Configurable count is really different from supportable. 🙂 Bit like how you can configure 50ish VPN tunnels on an MX64-68, but that doesn't mean you're going to get very good performance out of it.

Hello,

I am going to copy @Nash comment "Configurable count is really different from supportable." as it makes perfect sense! While there are no hard limits, I would like you to be aware of two limits though:

1. UI supports only 256 L3 interfaces on MS switch series.

2. You can only have a maximum of 255 VLANs configured on MXs in HA. - Dashboard will not stop you from going beyond 255 but will break things if you do. This is a known bug and dev team is looking into a long term fix on this one.

Regarding this fine answer a couple of years ago now, are there any news as to this "Bug" ?

Can I still go only to 255 VLANs on a MX ? Only asking because I have some issues with switch ACLs, where you cannot apply them only on the Layer 3 switch, but they are also applied on all other switches - And my only workaround is to instead create all layer 3 on the MX

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels