How do I maximize BackBlaze upload

Richard_W
A model citizen

How do I maximize BackBlaze upload

I'm doing the initial Backblaze upload to B2 and I'n noted that I'm getting around a solid 10Mbps. I'm operating in the evening and weekend hours, and this would be great but for the fact I have a solid 100 Mbps fiber connection.

The backup is from a Synology, using cloudsync.

So the question is how do I saturate said connection, because a quicker upload of data would be advantageous especially if it does not to interfere with day-to-day usage.

So far I've looked at traffic shaping giving it higher priority and ignore any global bandwidth limits but alas it seems to still only give me 10Mbps.

What am I obviously missing here?

8 REPLIES 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Richard_W  There are multiple things that would limit you upload speed.

1. The Synology box itself, I assume it has a gigabit ethernet port?

2. Traffic shaping on your router

3. Backblaze might be restricting your upload speeds at their end. They only have so much bandwidth in their incoming pipe so likely restrict things at there end to allow as many users as possible to upload at once. 

If I was in their shoes I would rather have two customers uploading at 10Mbps at the same time than have one uploading at 100Mbps and 9 other potentially queued. 

Yeah the Synology we have a bonded connection to an aggregation group on the switch. So I'm pretty sure no bottleneck there.

Traffic shaping is set to give Backblaze unfettered access.

I'm guessing it's door number three; Backblaze restricting?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure the upload speed isn't 10MB/s rather than 10Mb/s?

10MBs is 100Mb/s.

I'm going off this:Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.39.29 AM.png

Because the graph is flat lined that indicates to me that something is limiting the performance.

It could be BackBlaze itself.  It could be a setting in the client app on your end.  If you have any traffic shapping configured on the MX then it could also be that.

But the issue is something is imposing a performance limit - rather than you need to optize the network to make it faster.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.51.01 AM.png

This is my attempt at maximizing upload in terms of traffic shaping as we do have a per-client limit.

Apparently that form of traffic shaping (above) had no affect on increasing upload speed over Global bandwidth limits > Per-client limit.

The traffic was being held to per-client limit. I came to this elementary conclusion with the simple removal of per-client limit one evening, as is my wont.

So I guess I'll need to re-look at this unless anyone else has encountered this?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels