How can I determine what IP is coming from a certain switchport on an MX?

lee_hoyle
Conversationalist

How can I determine what IP is coming from a certain switchport on an MX?

Just like the title says - I have a remote, unmanned site with port 2 "alive" and all I can tell is that it is a 10 Mbit device. I'm used to switches that show the switchport in the MAC address table; is there an equivalent in Meraki?

6 REPLIES 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Quick and simple way….use the inbuilt wire shark tool and monitor the LAN side.

If you’ve only got two ports active shut one of them down, run the wireshark and see what you get. Do the same with the other port.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks for the idea, but not a workable solution. The site is an unmanned filling station and shutting the port #1 would kill the station and it's ability to fill customer vehicles. I will just wait for a tech to visit the facility and ask them to trace the cable in port #2.

We usually setup port #2 for a new secure VLAN and we are very motivated to keep that port for that use. We can move the item in port 2 to port 3 (still in VLAN 1) if it is still a required item. 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In your Dashboard does the Network > Monitor > Client view not show you the information you need?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

No, it doesn't. I looked at the available but unused fields and "connected to" just gives me the MAC address of the MX.

Thanks for replying!

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC wrote:

In your Dashboard does the Network > Monitor > Client view not show you the information you need?

Has this been reliable for you? I don't trust this output. For example my AppleTV is shown on port 8 of the MS120 instead of directly connected to the MX. And even worse, Port 8 is the Uplink to the MX ...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't do this on an MX without shutting down a port.

You would need a switch like an MS120-8LP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels