Hostname changes when connected to AnyConnect?

A_Swope
Just browsing

Hostname changes when connected to AnyConnect?

Our AV management software lists by hostname, and we are getting duplicates for our Mac users.   We've traced it down to this:  when a Mac user connects to AnyConnect, something is dynamically changing the computer's hostname.  See below of before and after disconnecting.

A_Swope_0-1690464720813.png

However the local hostname settings in the UI remain constant regardless of his VPN connction status:

A_Swope_1-1690465221624.png

How do we get the hostname to stay static?

13 Replies 13
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried changing on the client page?

alemabrahao_0-1690467998824.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Neither the when-connected nor when-disconnected hostname is in the client list.  I don't think it's coming from there.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried filtering by IP?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I can see his client in the list, but there's no mention anywhere on his connection or his details page of this mystery hostname that VPN gives to his computer when he connects.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Manually update the client device's hostname using the following instructions: https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Rename_a_Client's_Hos... Hostname broadcasted by MDNS gets priority over DHCP and NetBios and hence, the hostname gets updated when the client sends MDNS traffic. Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't care how the client show up on the Meraki dashboard.  I am trying to figure out why the hostname on the client itself changes when he connects to the Meraki via AnyConnect, and changes back when he disconnects.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Correct me if i am wrong but I don't see any difference between the two screenshots you posted however the first one is so small I can barely read it.

What AV are you using. I am a Mac user and connect via VPN's constantly and don't have any issue with device hostnames.

A_Swope
Just browsing

First screenshot shows his local hostname to be Davids-MacBook-Pro.local when connected to VPN.  When he disconnects, the hostname changes to Davids-MBP.lan.      We have no idea where the second value is coming from. 

This is not AV related, other than the AV console is how I discovered this weirdness.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hmm it seems like it might be related to DHCP option12

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To the best of my knowledge, AnyConnect wont touch the host name - however - it does configure the DNS suffix.  Perhaps this is configured via the same API on the Mac.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the ".lan" suffix present regardless of the network that the user is on?

Is it happening to only this user or all MacOS users?

A_Swope
Just browsing

@BlakeRichardson: We have nothing pushing option 12, but perhaps he does at home?

@Brash: No, the two names are "Davids-MacBook-Pro.local" and "Davids-MBP.lan"

I doubt he would be using that at home. I've just checked and when I connect my mac to a VPN the hostname doesn't change. 

Macs use .local so it must be something on your companies end thats doing it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels