Heartbeat in Meraki warm spare MX 84 Not Cleared

Solved
amalmichaelvj
Comes here often

Heartbeat in Meraki warm spare MX 84 Not Cleared

Hello Meraki Team,

i am planning a warm spare in meraki MX 84.

i found doc regarding the configuration.

from fro doc heatbeat setup was nor clear.

What i can find is

in Warm spare configuration i need to create a new vlan for heat beat ,

provide a subnet eg.1.1.10/24 and a vlan IP is given eg.1.1.1.1

so my doubts are does this vlan is common for both MX appliances.

IP address are not the physical address of any hardware.its a ip address only for VLAN.??

make me clear if am wrong??

because i have done HA in Sophos , Fortinet and other vendors .this a different setup

1 Accepted Solution
Mayur_Gadhvi
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

In Meraki, warm spare between two MX is a little bit different than mentioned vendors, In Meraki warm spare configuration, the Spare MX syncs the configuration from the primary MX only, you do not need to configure the spare MX separately, it just sync the configuration from the Primary MX only, so according to your scenario you just need to go to primary MX > Addressing and Vlan and configure the vlan there only (i.e. subnet eg.1.1.10/24 and a vlan IP is given eg.1.1.1.1).

Now for the heartbeat, either you can connect two MX directly on the lan with the ethernet cable or can be done using the switch in between as well, the only requirement is that VRRP packets should be reachable on both side otherwise you can run into the dual master scenario (where both the Primary and Spare MX report in Dashboard as being Active (master). This can be observed in Dashboard under Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance status and comparing the current state of each appliance.

This will occur if the Primary MX is online and sending heartbeats that aren't seen by the Spare, resulting in the Spare thinking that the Primary is down. If both the Primary and Spare are in the master state, this will cause various issues with the network, affecting DHCP, routing, VPN, etc.)

Following is the recommended design when you connect two MX using layer 2 switches in fully redundant mode.

Mayur_Gadhvi_0-1581661039127.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Mayur_Gadhvi
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

In Meraki, warm spare between two MX is a little bit different than mentioned vendors, In Meraki warm spare configuration, the Spare MX syncs the configuration from the primary MX only, you do not need to configure the spare MX separately, it just sync the configuration from the Primary MX only, so according to your scenario you just need to go to primary MX > Addressing and Vlan and configure the vlan there only (i.e. subnet eg.1.1.10/24 and a vlan IP is given eg.1.1.1.1).

Now for the heartbeat, either you can connect two MX directly on the lan with the ethernet cable or can be done using the switch in between as well, the only requirement is that VRRP packets should be reachable on both side otherwise you can run into the dual master scenario (where both the Primary and Spare MX report in Dashboard as being Active (master). This can be observed in Dashboard under Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance status and comparing the current state of each appliance.

This will occur if the Primary MX is online and sending heartbeats that aren't seen by the Spare, resulting in the Spare thinking that the Primary is down. If both the Primary and Spare are in the master state, this will cause various issues with the network, affecting DHCP, routing, VPN, etc.)

Following is the recommended design when you connect two MX using layer 2 switches in fully redundant mode.

Mayur_Gadhvi_0-1581661039127.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels