Google Services unreachable - MX84 - Google.com and Gmail.com | Weird behaviour

Bonifas
Here to help

Google Services unreachable - MX84 - Google.com and Gmail.com | Weird behaviour

All a sudden all the clients connected to MX84 were unable to access google services - Google search engine stopped working, Gmail stopped working - accessing the site - Error - Site cannot be reached.

Pinging would resolve IP & also give response

Weird behaviour on Mobile devices - WiFi connected with limited connectivity message - Able to access everything including google. 

It was concluded to be DNS resolution issue for Google services only from laptops/desktops/MacBooks (wired/wireless) but from mobile devices this would work

There were 2 ISP lines active on the MX - Checked individually and both had the same issue.

Rebooted local DNS server - Did not help

After all the research, rebooted the MX - Issue was fixed.

Anybody else had a similar issue?

5 Replies 5
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Bonifas 

You state it was DNS resolution issues but yet you were able to PING the hostnames and these were resolved?

No other services affected?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Bonifas
Here to help

Hi @DarrenOC I felt like it was DNS issue - but it was not. Ping google.com - was successful and gave response too. nslookup returned the right IP address as well.

No other services were affected.

Thanks,

Bonifas

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

My guess would be threat protection went goofy and the reboot fixed it.  If it happens again try just toggling threat protection options off and back on to see if it also corrects it.  Are you running current stable firmware?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Bonifas
Here to help

Hi @BrandonS we are 16.16 MX.

I will may be try your trick next time if it may happen to disable and enable Threat Protection. Thank You!

Bonifas

Bonifas
Here to help

This issue happened again today. In the urgency of the hour, i missed the step to try disabling & enabling Threat Protection! rather rebooted the MX.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels